• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Biggest and Most Common Blunders Made by Preppers

Right now you could go to the dentist or learn to handle pain.
Things that help:
Holding a mouthful of peroxide
Holding a mouthful of vodka, then swallowing it.
Put an aspirin on it, let it melt.
A children's Tylenol melt on it.
Toothache meds from dollar store.
Penicillin every 6 hours for infection.

The ache is caused by the nerve dying. Once the nerve dies the pain stops but other issues could arise.
In SHTF try the vet if you can't find a dentist.
the best book i have ever seen on the subject https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1610040449/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i3

I think a common mistake is not having more than one plan especially for water.

What does an ill prepared person do if running water is gone and electricity is off for weeks?

Maybe you have a water filter, but what happens if the temperatures are in the teens for days on end? The filter freezes and is damaged. So much for your Berkey.

Plan B, C, and D better be viable.

Water is my biggest concern even though it's only about 150 yards from the house.

Anyone with a bb gun or 22lr up taking pop shots at people at the watering hole looking to take what they can of the person or make it easier to clean out a house. With out rule of law, I can see some neighborhoods turn into playgrounds for the creeps that dream of killing people & living out their fantasies.

Biggest blunder I can imagine is trying to leave your house looking to find something better. Even if you plan to drive there gas will most likely be in short supply causing you to be stranded with hundreds of lbs of gear. And every nook and cranny that looks appealing will already have someone there ready to defend it against you. Heck, even if it's your old cabin in the woods, if someone gets there first and ambushes you going in it's all for naught.

Best thing to do is stock up and hope to outlast all the others that didn't prepare. If the situation last's longer than 2 weeks I'm boarding up the house and posting a sign stating "Trespassers Will Be Shot Without Warning". Since most homes only have about 2 weeks of food it would seem that's when things will get dangerous. If I can wait it out for a few months while making night runs for water I'm sure I could keep out of trouble.

Biggest blunder I can imagine is trying to leave your house looking to find something better. Even if you plan to drive there gas will most likely be in short supply causing you to be stranded with hundreds of lbs of gear. And every nook and cranny that looks appealing will already have someone there ready to defend it against you. Heck, even if it's your old cabin in the woods, if someone gets there first and ambushes you going in it's all for naught.

Best thing to do is stock up and hope to outlast all the others that didn't prepare. If the situation last's longer than 2 weeks I'm boarding up the house and posting a sign stating "Trespassers Will Be Shot Without Warning". Since most homes only have about 2 weeks of food it would seem that's when things will get dangerous. If I can wait it out for a few months while making night runs for water I'm sure I could keep out of trouble.
most people don't have more than a few days of food...stores have about three days worth for NORMAL shopping (think snow in ga)...some people shop daily or eat out and have zero food. It is a very good idea to make your house look like all of the rest...if their windows are broken, no light, no cooking smells, etc... until after all of the non-prepared have left or died.

1) physical stuff. Life's easier if you're in better shape than if you're in terrible shape
2) supplies for the first 2 weeks (or whatever timeframe you are thinking)
3) supplies for the next time frame
4) Mental stuff. Having an understanding of how things work, how to make things work the way you need to, and they way to adapt and overcome is going to be huge.
5) a group. I'm new to Georgia and have not much of a support system here. It's hard to make friends as a grown up, especially if you're trying to fish info and see who would be an asset.

I think brain>supplies every time. I can store X amount of water. But if I know a bunch of ways to get it and a bunch of ways to clean it I'm way ahead of the curve. You need supplies for the first part of the adventure, but after that you will need to supply without the sink or store.

Back
Top Bottom