• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big Green Egg

I had my Yeti cooler too close to my Big Green Egg. When the Egg got hot it melted my Yeti which was just above my Egg. The ice water hit my Egg and busted it into a million pieces. I have three year financing and insurance on the Yeti and four year financing and insurance on the Egg. I just hope my deductible is low.

Last edited:
I had my Yeti cooler too close to my Big Green Egg. When the Egg got hot it melted my Yeti which was just above my Egg. The ice water hit my Egg and busted it into a million pieces. I have three year financing and insurance on the Yeti and four year financing and insurance on the Egg. I just hope my deductible is low.

I can spray my Gator Pit with ice cold water from a hose and it'll keep on trucking right along.

With coal starter? Can you grill a few burgers,hot dogs steaks in short amount time?

I use an electrical coal starter with my Egg which is probably one of the better BGE investments you can make. I get a roaring fire going in no time.

But there is definitely more time required with an Egg as opposed to a propane grill so I always recommend both. If I want dogs or burgers in a hurry, then I go propane. If I want them to melt in my mouth, I go Egg.

The ONLY way a steak should be cooked is seared at a high temp (700+ degrees) and allowed to rest for 20 minutes before cooking to your desired level. You can only do this with an Egg or similar. I would never cook a steak on a propane grill. Pizza on an Egg is outstanding. You can cook other high temp recipes like Tandoori chicken. And of course there is the smoking.

The Egg is probably the most versatile cooking tool you'll find, and it's most definitely worth it. There are no cons.

IMHO, a BGE is basically an outdoor oven. There is something primal about smoking and grilling and the BGE takes all of that away.
Everyone I know who has one loves 'em. Everyone I know who has them does not use it half as much as I use my Weber. (I have never used gas) I would like to borrow a BGE. to give one a try. I can cook a mighty fine 13 lb turkey on the Weber. I really wonder how much better tasting the extra $300 could make it.

Just like anything else, a fancy tool does not make up for being an average cook. The best barbecue I've ever had was cooked in a hole in the ground.

Last edited:
Everyone I know who has one loves 'em. Everyone I know who has them does not use it half as much as I use my Weber. (I have never used gas) I would like to borrow a BGE. to give one a try. I can cook a mighty fine 13 lb turkey on the Weber. I really wonder how much better tasting the extra $300 could make it.

Just like anything else, a fancy tool does not make up for being an average cook. The best barbecue I've ever had was cooked in a hole in the ground.

Too me smoking is smoking, and you can pretty much do that with anything. Where the Egg excels is holding a steady temp for long periods fairly easy and more importantly for me, the ability to reach high temperatures. If you haven't had a steak seared to perfection at high temps, then you haven't had a steak.

Oh and for the record I smoke my BBQ for only one hour to get in the hickory flavor and harden the bark. I then move it to the crock pot and cook overnight. No other BBQ compares. :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom