• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Biden admin press release on firearm suicide prevention

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
New initiatives, announced yesterday:

I have to give them credit. I don't see a single thing in the memo that oversteps their authority. They basically want to run public relations campaigns about safe gun storage and suicide prevention. More training and resources for VA staff to better help at risk veterans who haven't been admitted to a hospital. The memo also goes on to say they want to go after FFLs who are willfull 1st time offenders in regards to selling to prohibited persons, not running background checks, etc. While I'm always concerned about ATF abuse and overreach, I have no problem with FFLs getting busted when they knowingly break the fundamental rules of being an FFL.

Plenty of room for debate on whether or not the feds should be spending our tax dollars on such things, but I find public relations campaigns far less onerous than trying to codify new restrictions on our rights.

I have to give them credit. I don't see a single thing in the memo that oversteps their authority. They basically want to run public relations campaigns about safe gun storage and suicide prevention. More training and resources for VA staff to better help at risk veterans who haven't been admitted to a hospital. The memo also goes on to say they want to go after FFLs who are willfull 1st time offenders in regards to selling to prohibited persons, not running background checks, etc. While I'm always concerned about ATF abuse and overreach, I have no problem with FFLs getting busted when they knowingly break the fundamental rules of being an FFL.

Plenty of room for debate on whether or not the feds should be spending our tax dollars on such things, but I find public relations campaigns far less onerous than trying to codify new restrictions on our rights.
Just another way for them to disarm Veterans who are now considered the enemy.

My thinking is that this is just one tick in the play list for gun control and eventual confiscation. The next thing you know the ATF will be "looking for public input" on one or more of its proposed rules changes and they will use THIS as one of the 'substantive' evidence items. Common sense and suicides were done long before guns. This is just more gun grabbing and an effort to detract that Biden has succeeded in creating Dystopia in America in less than 10 months.

Just another way for them to disarm Veterans who are now considered the enemy.

I don't see any orders or code references. Due process still in place, last time I heard.

They can fight their red flag law battle in the legislature and the courts. Different issue.

My thinking is that this is just one tick in the play list for gun control and eventual confiscation. The next thing you know the ATF will be "looking for public input" on one or more of its proposed rules changes and they will use THIS as one of the 'substantive' evidence items. Common sense and suicides were done long before guns. This is just more gun grabbing and an effort to detract that Biden has succeeded in creating Dystopia in America in less than 10 months.

I don't disagree that is their overarching agenda. But let's be honest: People kill themselves with guns, and some of that is preventable. No harm in the dealer handing out a government printed pamphlet to a first time gun buyer that says, "Hey, consider using a fast access safe to keep your Tik Tok addicted teenager from ready access to a loaded handgun."

That's different than, "Per ATF reg 12345, you must lock this unloaded gun up, and keep the ammo locked in a different place."

I don't disagree that is their overarching agenda. But let's be honest: People kill themselves with guns, and some of that is preventable. No harm in the dealer handing out a government printed pamphlet to a first time gun buyer that says, "Hey, consider using a fast access safe to keep your Tik Tok addicted teenager from ready access to a loaded handgun."

That's different than, "Per ATF reg 12345, you must lock this unloaded gun up, and keep the ammo locked in a different place."
This isn't about them wanting to keep you from doing XYZ to yourself. It's about them using THIS and other forms of government and MSM/social media influence to further their efforts at control, period. There are a myriad of ways they want to help further their agenda; one is dropping the LEGAL requirement for a court-appointed affiliate from negging someone and limiting their possession of guns and extend that to 'concerned parties.' Look at it any way you want - data; if you torture the data long and hard enough it will reveal anything you want. Government has no business in this at all, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom