• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best zero turn 48-50 inch for a home owner

just bought a Husqvarna 54" w/26hp Kaw for $3099 from mowers direct. Should be here end of the week.
I'll be able to provide feedback once it arrives.........
Forgot to re post feedback.
WORTH EVERY CENT. Night and day difference from the darn tractor mower.
I haven't had much seat time because my son beats me to it every time.
I'm impressed and likely order another one for our primary house end of winter/beginning of spring.

I don't know what's best, but I have a Hustler Raptor homeowner-grade 48" mower. It was brand new 3 years ago.
It's only used with non-ethanol gas. Has worked fine, with only a few minor issues (belts got clogged with clumps of grass. One fuse blew. Battery needed replacement this spring...)

One thing I don't like about it, and probably is true for all similarly-designed ZTR mowers, is how you need two hands to steer it. You don't have one hand free to do anything else. Unless of course you're going on very flat, smooth ground, which isn't my yard at all. Also, if you ever actually use the zero-turn-radius feature, you're going to tear up your lawn. The wheels spinning like that rips up sections of the grass and exposes the bare soil.

Also, during tight turns (where one wheel is in neutral and one is driving slowly into a tight curve), the width of your cut is nowhere close to 48 inches-- because you're approaching the grass while crabbing sideways, not straight-on.

This makes it difficult to cut square or rectangular patterns, EVEN IF you round-off the corners. But when cutting in circles or ovals, it's no problem.

My opinion don’t count much but I’d invest in long term costs more but service is what sells me. I own an Exmark my grandson got a diesel grasshopper front deck but he cuts lawns I’d say get a commercial mower as the decks hold up better. Long term investments are the way to go and upkeep on a mower is like a vehicle, it will last a lifetime for the homeowner.

My opinion don’t count much but I’d invest in long term costs more but service is what sells me. I own an Exmark my grandson got a diesel grasshopper front deck but he cuts lawns I’d say get a commercial mower as the decks hold up better. Long term investments are the way to go and upkeep on a mower is like a vehicle, it will last a lifetime for the homeowner.
It's not a zero turn but I've had it since it was built in 1994 - 12.5 HP Kohler on a 42" Craftsman Rider with Hydrostatic Transmission. Still runs like it was new. Upkeep and keeping them clean are key.

I bought a Toro homeowner zero turn in 2013 with Kawasaki engine. Have had no issues yet. In 2018 I got a second house in Athens and sent it there and bought a Toro commercial mower for here. Much bigger and like a tank. No issues yet. Best part is my wife got on it after I had cut maybe 3-4 times and I haven’t had to get on it since. Money well spent.

I had a TORO Zero turn and will never buy another. Nothing but electrical problems! Relay, ignition, starter and battery cables. Starter stuck so bad I had to remove the battery cable to kill it. Everything melted.

I have a Cub Cadet with a Kawasaki engine. Bought 1yr ago and zero problems.

I mow an acre with it

I have a Toro Timecutter 4225; 42 inch deck, toro in house engine. I mow about an acre with it once a week and have had it for 3 years. I change the oil, filter, fuel filter, and blades at the end of the season and it has never let me down. I bought it from a dealer, but have never needed dealer warranty work.

Buy one from a local shop where you can have it serviced, it maybe gravely, hustler, exmark, skag, husq. You arent going to go wrong with most of them. The homeowner versions are gonna start around 4500, should get you in a kawasaki engine, the good transmissions, and welded decks. I went with one of the old green Bobcat crz52s. Its been great but they have recently been bought out and having issues from what I'm told. I've heard good things about the new Spartan mowers also.

Back
Top Bottom