Best Way to Season Cast Iron?

Here is what I'm cooking right now in the Dutch oven:

Two packs of Kielbasa Jalapeno smoked sausage
one red onion
one green bell pepper
one red bell pepper
4 baking potatoes
one can of corn
1 tsp each of black pepper, salt, paprika, Lawry's seasoning.
Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.

I turn the stove top on low and let the CI heat up while I'm cutting stuff up. Slice up the sausage and throw it in, letting it brown while I cut up the onions and peppers. Takes about 30 minutes prep time and 30 minutes cook time, but it makes a lot of food and is good re-warmed as left overs for lunch the next day.

Here is what I'm cooking right now in the Dutch oven:

Two packs of Kielbasa Jalapeno smoked sausage
one red onion
one green bell pepper
one red bell pepper
4 baking potatoes
one can of corn
1 tsp each of black pepper, salt, paprika, Lawry's seasoning.
Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.

I turn the stove top on low and let the CI heat up while I'm cutting stuff up. Slice up the sausage and throw it in, letting it brown while I cut up the onions and peppers. Takes about 30 minutes prep time and 30 minutes cook time, but it makes a lot of food and is good re-warmed as left overs for lunch the next day.
Looks awesome! I will try it. I picked up an enameled 5 qt dutch oven at Kroger for 25 bucks, it was 35 dollars off and couldnt pass it up. I have been wearing stews out with that thing.

_DSC9933.jpg_DSC9974.jpg

Here are a few from the dutch oven. Beef Stew on a Biscut and Arroz Con Polle Mole.. I literaly could not stop eating them

I have always alternated bacon grease and crisco. Coat inside and out with a THIN coat, put in over at 400 degrees for 45 min or so, let cool, and repeat---alternating the type of grease. A good start is 3 layers of each. It takes a solid weekend to do it right. THEN cook the lb of bacon!

I did mine this way...about a week

Here is the start of another stew, I caramelize the onions, mushrooms, garlic and Jalapenos after I sear the beef (after shakin it in a bag of flour with salt pepper and garlic powder) beef is not in there yet..
, then add the beef back and liquid in..about an hour later tomatoes, carrots, celery and potatoes:
_DSC0014.jpg_DSC0013.jpg

Let me know if anyone wants the receipt!

Last edited:
I have always alternated bacon grease and crisco. Coat inside and out with a THIN coat, put in over at 400 degrees for 45 min or so, let cool, and repeat---alternating the type of grease. A good start is 3 layers of each. It takes a solid weekend to do it right. THEN cook the lb of bacon!

I have not tried alternating grease and oils yet.. I'll add it to the list to try..

Here is the instructions from the expert: The Pan Man

http://panman.com/cleaning.html

Nice, I'm trying it now.. There is a few different schools of thought on temp.. Pan Man says 225 w/ Crisco, Many folks, like Southernguy72, run with 400 degrees plus..

Back
Top Bottom