• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Way to Season Cast Iron?

Speed6

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
28   0
Reaction score
What are some ways you guys season cast iron? I had a great slick patina on one of my Lodge Pans and burned some off..so I decided to try and get it better with Flax Oil..After 6 coats and burns it totally sucked! Came right off.. I used a technique from this chick on the old interweb and what a joke. Her method had apparently been tested and loved by Cooks Illustrated and she went off about the science of it all..total fail.

I'm back to tried and true Crisco and my first coat was spotty at best..maybe its the oven Im using.. a big toaster over deal..

What temp, oil, time and method do you guys use?

Crisco on the grill outside. Heat on high for an hour (pan upside down), then turn off the heat and let it cool down on its own. Repeat a couple of times.

if the pan isn't clean to start with, you'll still have problems.

Clean off what ever loose stuff is left over from the bad seasoning job. I have read that you can use salt and a cut in half potato to scrub out any rust or bad spots in the seasoning. I season with bacon grease in the oven. Apply a thin coat of grease on inside and outside of pan. Place upside down on top rack of oven and put a sheet of foil on second rack to catch any grease that drips out. 450 degrees for an hour then let cool in oven.

After cooking, I use hot water and a sponge to clean up the pan, then put it in the over at 250 degrees for a few minutes to dry. I then apply a thin coat of vegetable oil with a paper towel.

If you have a Facebook account, there is a page called Hillbilly CAST IRON Cooking that post recipes daily.

https://www.facebook.com/Hillbilly.CASTIRONCooking

Crisco on the grill outside. Heat on high for an hour (pan upside down), then turn off the heat and let it cool down on its own. Repeat a couple of times.

if the pan isn't clean to start with, you'll still have problems.

Yeah.. I think Im gonna have to fire up the grill..

Clean off what ever loose stuff is left over from the bad seasoning job. I have read that you can use salt and a cut in half potato to scrub out any rust or bad spots in the seasoning. I season with bacon grease in the oven. Apply a thin coat of grease on inside and outside of pan. Place upside down on top rack of oven and put a sheet of foil on second rack to catch any grease that drips out. 450 degrees for an hour then let cool in oven.

After cooking, I use hot water and a sponge to clean up the pan, then put it in the over at 250 degrees for a few minutes to dry. I then apply a thin coat of vegetable oil with a paper towel.

If you have a Facebook account, there is a page called Hillbilly CAST IRON Cooking that post recipes daily.

https://www.facebook.com/Hillbilly.CASTIRONCooking

Cool facebook page, thanks!

I have always alternated bacon grease and crisco. Coat inside and out with a THIN coat, put in over at 400 degrees for 45 min or so, let cool, and repeat---alternating the type of grease. A good start is 3 layers of each. It takes a solid weekend to do it right. THEN cook the lb of bacon!

Back
Top Bottom