• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Reloading Kit for a Beginner?

I think the lee loader is a bit too austere -- Makes good ammo though -
I would go for the lee hand press and dies though -
Manual,press , dies, scale/dippers, lube pad, calipers, rag & naptha to wipe lube from finished round and bobs your uncle --- to get started --
I actually have two Uncle Bobs...true story

press,dies,primer tool,powder measure,trays,case trimmer,bullets,powder,primers,cases,tumbler,funnel, and some more stuff.Manual for reloading

Everything in the manuals is available on the web in 2020.

I have several from over a decade ago when I started loading. I reference them every once in a while, but they aren’t necessary. There is so much information available today in the web...you can pretty much learn how to do anything between google and youtube.

Check the library too. Mine had several books about reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m thinking about finally diving in to reloading and was hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

I’d like to know what the best reloading “kit” is for a beginner. I think a single stage would be fine to start off with but the prices seem to vary quite a bit among the different brands. If it makes a difference, the three main cartridges I’d be working with would be 10mm, 308 and 270.

I know the adage “You get what you pay for” will probably hold true here but I’d like to keep it relatively inexpensive until I know for certain that it’s something I will continue to pursue (I’m lazy).

Thanks in advance.
It also depends on how much you enjoy tinkering with the ammo. I can't believe it but I've been reloading on and off for over 40 years and still like tinkering with things like powder loads, bullet seating depth, bullet weights, etc. If you like to putter around like that a single stage press will work fine. I've had an RCBS rockchucker from the beginning and still find it adequate. I also use a balance scale, a Uniflow powder measure and a tube feed primer. Within the last year I finally broke down and acquired a Lyman case trimmer from an ODTer (and just today finally set it up, had been lucky to have not needed it until now). Most of these things seem to be in the supreme rockchucker kit I just saw in midway. I can get a reasonable amount of 9mm made for range sessions but wouldn't recommend it if you like to blast away mag after mag with your 10mm.

I would say no more than 500 rifle rounds for the 308 and 270. If I decided to load 223, then that would be a whole different story.

Hard to make economic sense at those quantities. I figured 5k-7500 rounds before investment in equip made sense, and only if I really cared about accuracy.

Passed that long ago, but that was in the days of sub $200 cases of 9mm, and $350 cases of 223, and surplus 308 at $400 case.

Times are different, price wise, but I have a reloading setup and NO primers..... Lots of powder, cases, and bullets.....

I'll say it, yall are retarded. For a press get q Lee turret, its faster than q single stage and you can set it up to rotate or take out the indexer to run as q single stage. Unless you're wanting to do long range competitions you'll be fine. You can also get additional discs to put the dies in and caliber swap pretty quick. Get a good book, theyre all about the same. Start cheap with bare minimums cause kts not for everyone. Its also not as complicated as some people believe.

first find someone to show you how to reload before you buy anything. now for the hard part,,,next find powder, primers, brass, and bullets. now is not the time to start reloading. you will spend to much for primers, powder, bullets, and brass. bank your money and wait this crap out. ammo and reloading items prices will get back to normal if the right person stays in office. "buy it cheap and stack it deep" are words to live by these days.

Back
Top Bottom