• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Reloading Kit for a Beginner?

Swab

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
153   0
Reaction score
I’m thinking about finally diving in to reloading and was hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

I’d like to know what the best reloading “kit” is for a beginner. I think a single stage would be fine to start off with but the prices seem to vary quite a bit among the different brands. If it makes a difference, the three main cartridges I’d be working with would be 10mm, 308 and 270.

I know the adage “You get what you pay for” will probably hold true here but I’d like to keep it relatively inexpensive until I know for certain that it’s something I will continue to pursue (I’m lazy).

Thanks in advance.

Dillon 550 is the best of both worlds. Ease of single stage with the dual functionality of a progressive. I have a Dillon 650 and 550 and wouldn’t consider anything else. I have a Lee single stage, but I don’t really load on it. Mostly just menial tasks like pulling rounds apart, depriming sometimes, etc. if you do decide to get a single stage get a get one. Hornady makes a really solid kit, but I doubt you can find them right now.

Got to be honest with you, right now you biggest challenge will be finding components. You may get lucky and come across a little, but most likely nothing in any type of quantity. And without quantity reloading loses any type of value proposition.

It still has value in that you can make your own ammo when there is none to be purchased. But you can’t make it with the components.

I made a spread sheet that breaks down reloading cost. Keep in mind this was pre pandemic. I tried uploading it but it will only let me upload photos. Not files. I’ll load if someone knows how.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would get a Dillon 550 or even an older 450.

Wait till all those folks who got into reloading but didn't stock up on components start selling their set-ups. Buy a package at a decent price, then wait till consumables come back on the shelves with normal prices then stock up like crazy.

You should be ready by the next panic.

First get a reloading manual -- I prefer lyman hut all are useful --
How much are you going to shoot? no point spending $1k for 200 - 300 rounds per year of common ammo --
I would buy used tooling, it seldom is worn out --
More money for tooling only saves time and some effort. not better ammo ---
I would say no more than 500 rifle rounds for the 308 and 270. If I decided to load 223, then that would be a whole different story.

I think the lee loader is a bit too austere -- Makes good ammo though -
I would go for the lee hand press and dies though -
Manual,press , dies, scale/dippers, lube pad, calipers, rag & naptha to wipe lube from finished round and bobs your uncle --- to get started --

Back
Top Bottom