• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best place to primitive camp

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I am going to take my boy fishing. He is looking forward to getting out I my boat. What would be ideal is a site right on the water. It doesn't have to be in Georgia because Virginia is still in the mix as well. Can any of you anglers drop some knowledge for real. I am looking for a nice lake so I can use my ,lowrance hook seven. A kick ass fish finder.

Carters Lake in Gilmer county is a wilderness lake. Surrounded by Coosawattee Management area. Several good camping spots up river from the Ridgeway landing area. No houses or boat docks. True wilderness experience except weekends when pleasure boating keeps things stirred up. Walleye, stripers, huge bream and crappie if you can find them. Good luck

Carters Lake in Gilmer county is a wilderness lake. Surrounded by Coosawattee Management area. Several good camping spots up river from the Ridgeway landing area. No houses or boat docks. True wilderness experience except weekends when pleasure boating keeps things stirred up. Walleye, stripers, huge bream and crappie if you can find them. Good luck
I have called at Doll Mt. but it was a hair to far from the water there. It a primitive campers dream at the very top of Doll.Mt.. we just walked to the water to fish. Only problem is it is real shallow fishing from the bank if the lake is low. I know the have two other places like Doll Mt. is there a campground you have in mind? I have only stayed at Doll Mt. but I have a boat now so I would like to try somewhere new. Carter's lake is fine,, just a different cluster of campsites. Where were you thinking of around there?

If you put in at ridgeway and go about a mile upriver there is a shelter on the left bank. you can see it from the boat and it is close to the bank. Plenty of deadfall for firewood. The shelter is
similar to those built on the AT. no access form any road so it is not used often and may be in need of a good cleaning before use. you would basically be camping from the boat and leave your vehicle at the boat ramp parking area. primitive.

Back
Top Bottom