• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best piece of advise for a new reloader?

Lots and lots of great comments so far.
Safety first; good manual like hornady’s is paramount. Type of powder and charge must be correc, so QA there.
trim rifle brass, clean dirty pockets, check headspace. Good luck.

Lots and lots of great comments so far.
Safety first; good manual like hornady’s is paramount. Type of powder and charge must be correc, so QA there.
trim rifle brass, clean dirty pockets, check headspace. Good luck.
brass prep is a pita...and key to accurate reloads. I uniform primer pockets, flash holes, anneal, resize, trim, chamfer....

If you could give the best piece of advice to a new reloader what would it be?

I know there is more information I need to know, just not sure what I’m looking for. I’d love to learn from someone else’s mistakes, and I’m sure many others who read this thread.

Jason
I just learned to not trust your electronic devices and always have a manual balance scale and calipers to be 100% your electronic devices aren’t acting up. I had a cheap digital Arsenal powder scale. It started acting weird in the middle of loading test rounds. The first 25 rounds were great, then I had my first squib. I think it was about 5 grains light, but I can’t really know. I had a gun smith remove the stuck bullet out of my barrel. I do listen and pay attention to every shot and had the sense to check my barrel before firing again. That scale was purchased in 2017 when I started and worked great until the other week.

If you want rounds to go blast with, most anything will do. If you're looking for the best accuracy in rifle ammo, Lapua brass and a good bullet go a long way toward great accuracy. Learn to seat your bullets so that they are just off or just barely kissing the lands for the very best accuracy in most rifles.

Back
Top Bottom