• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best piece of advise for a new reloader?

JSimotes

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Come as You Are
71   0
Reaction score
If you could give the best piece of advice to a new reloader what would it be?

I know there is more information I need to know, just not sure what I’m looking for. I’d love to learn from someone else’s mistakes, and I’m sure many others who read this thread.

Jason

TRIM YOUR CASES
ive taught a few people here and there through the years
and for some reason .. no one wants to take time to trim cases..
they would even show me articles where some other guy said..." blah blah blah"
please.. trim your cases.. always check case length.. if it needs it trim it

nick b

oh ya .. don't need much lube for sizing.. too much with crush the case from hydraulic pressure inside the die
and create dimples all around the neck of the case

TRIM YOUR CASES
ive taught a few people here and there through the years
and for some reason .. no one wants to take time to trim cases..
they would even show me articles where some other guy said..." blah blah blah"
please.. trim your cases.. always check case length.. if it needs it trim it

nick b

i would suggest that trimming cases is only required with rifle calibers, I have never seen an issue with pistol case length.

Choose a bullet, choose a powder, choose a case and make that combo the best you can for your rifle. Then change only the bullet and do the same, then change only the powder and do the same.

The key is to not change too many things at once or you'll never find the sweet spot of a load. Keep it as simple as you can for as long as you can.

SEEE HAHAHAH
not entirely true.. when running magnum cases you will pull and strech
and even consistency is KEY to precision rounds and the best accuracy

Most load data is free from manufacturers. Hornady has a great subscription based app that I use a lot. Try to find someone local that will mentor you. Ask questions here. There is a wealth of reloading knowledge here.

The advise I would give is to have an experienced reloaded in your type of reloading review your whole process. There is no single piece of info they will make you successful.
I load 1000 to 1500;rounds of 9 and 40 most months. I am fairly knowledgeable about the process of loading pistol caliber but I am no way an expert on loading rifle ammo. I believe I am decent at loading rifle but someone that shoots benchrest or someone that shoots action rifle matches will have tips and tricks I have not picked up due to my only loading a few hundred rounds a year.
One tip that many people miss is that if you need the ammo to be reliable, you must case gauge every round. I case gauge my factory self defense ammo. I find one or two rounds out of 100 that fail to pass case gauge test. They will chamber in my SD guns but I do not trust them.

ALWAYS CHECK POWDER CHARGE!!!!

when loading on a progressive press I still check the charge weight every 8-12 rounds. ALWAYS make sure powder is in the case!!!! Due diligence. Don't drink while reloading!!!!!!! I was loading .308 for a friend's rifle, he was seating bullets...he was hammered...Had to weigh all loaded rounds...he sat 4 pills with no powder...WTF?!?! learned my lesson...drunk cannot load bullets in a line off a loading block! Always check your work! case gauges, scales, everything. double check everything.

Back
Top Bottom