• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best LPVO for Competition

ponyboy96

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
9   0
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are for which LPVO are best for competition. Competition for me means 3 gun style shooting or run and gun. Ranges go from 25yrds to 600yrds on shots. Thoughts on the best optic?

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are for which LPVO are best for competition. Competition for me means 3 gun style shooting or run and gun. Ranges go from 25yrds to 600yrds on shots. Thoughts on the best optic?
I believe it to be the Kahles K16i. The majority of your shooting will be on the lower end of the spectrum and it has the widest FOV that I know of on any LPVO on the market save for the Swarovski Z8i. The 3GR is full of useful information, applicable to useful distances without being over complicated. It is daylight bright and the glass quality is outstanding. It is super lightweight at 16.9 ounces and the scope absolutely disappears at 1 power to provide a very red-dot like experience.

The Nightforce NX8 is another good optic, but I feel like its strengths are at distance, where its FFP configuration and extra 2 power help out. I do not like its reticle as much, its crowded to me around the center, I do not like its FOV and tunneling at low power and I don't think its glass quality is up to par with the Kahles. It does, however, have probably the brightest illumination on the market and does feel like it could take more abuse. You also have the option to dial with the NX8, whereas you don't with the Kahles. Being FFP is key with the extra two power in case you find yourself holding for elevation when not at max power, something you have to worry about a little bit less with the 6x Kahles.

If I was running an offset/backup red dot, then I could see leaning toward the longer range capability of the NX8 and let my red dot take care of the close range work.

If I am only running a LPVO, I would go with the Kahles, its 1x performance is just that much better.

NX8 vs Kahles at 1x below:
IMG_20181004_191039 (1).jpg
IMG_20180929_172921 (3).jpg
IMG_20180929_172501 (3).jpg

Dang Burdy! Thanks for all the info. Any idea locally where I can check these out? I’m currently running the strike Eagle 1-8 which is ok. I really like the recticle. Glass is decent, but it lost zero on the last RNG. Found that out recently when re zeroing. Was wondering why I lost points on the last stages. Could be the mount since I’m running a vortex mount also.

I really like the Trijicon 1-8, but thing weighs a ton. Also thought about an acog for weight savings. My AR with optic currently weighs 6lbs.

I’ll have to check those out. Thanks.

I think it comes down to your budget also. I think Khales or Nightforce are awesome but they cost almost what I have in an entire rifle. I have several strike eagle optics on several of my rifles and have never lost zero (including after running at River bend). I do think the eye relief could be better at x6 but I also understand they aren't a $1500 optic. I think you have several things to consider. I only ever intend to run a couple competitions a year so it's hard to justify for me to put an optic on worth more than the rifle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think it comes down to your budget also. I think Khales or Nightforce are awesome but they cost almost what I have in an entire rifle. I have several strike eagle optics on several of my rifles and have never lost zero (including after running at River bend). I do think the eye relief could be better at x6 but I also understand they aren't a $1500 optic. I think you have several things to consider. I only ever intend to run a couple competitions a year so it's hard to justify for me to put an optic on worth more than the rifle.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I agree it’s a very good optic. You really can’t find much to compete with it until you triple the price point. I think my zero issue was due to the mount. I’m running the vortex mount, so not very good. I’ve done a couple RNG events with this optic.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I agree it’s a very good optic. You really can’t find much to compete with it until you triple the price point. I think my zero issue was due to the mount. I’m running the vortex mount, so not very good. I’ve done a couple RNG events with this optic.
Well, the Razor Gen II E value wise is the next step down in line from the Kahles/NF and some would say it's not a step at down at all. You can find them for $999. For the price it is very hard to beat. After that, I would say the Steiner PX4i, though it's only 4x, its an incredible value at $600.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I use the nightforce NX8 which is 1-8 power but most of the serious 3 gun guys I shoot with use the vortex razor 1-6

Geissele offers a package on the razor 2-e with sopmod mount for $1399. I was reading about it on Brian Enos forum. Seems like it gets very high praise from the 3 gun community.

Geissele offers a package on the razor 2-e with sopmod mount for $1399. I was reading about it on Brian Enos forum. Seems like it gets very high praise from the 3 gun community.
Yes, it's 90%+ of the Kahles at 50% the price. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom