• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Jerky for Long Term use!

I bought a cheap slicer, vacuum sealer, dehydrator, oxygen absorbers, moisture absorbers, jerky seasoning etc. Total around $200. Have made a couple batches. Can't keep it long enough to say it's good for long term storage because it tastes so good. But it's supposed to be good for a couple years or more. A 5 lb chunk of beef makes about 5 bags about the size you get in the store for $8. Watch some YouTube videos to learn how to make it. Just writing this makes me want to go cut open a vacuum sealed bag right now. I should mention you should beat it with a tenderizing hammer before seasoning and a cut proof glove when you use the slicer. If shtf you can use about any wild game. I think the seasoning would handle any gamey flavor. We also dehydrated bananas & bell pepper. I can't say how long the cheap electric slicer will hold up but I don't think it will last very long. I got the round dehydrator but if I did it over the bigger one is the right one. Our rural route mailman said he runs two dehydrators and buys pre-sliced meat. The seasoning contains nitrates to kill bacteria but too long soaking makes the meat way too salty. You'll need a 3 X 5 ft work table. Cheap meat makes really tough jerky so the hammer is a must.

Back
Top Bottom