Best Guitarist You Ever Saw in Person

Grew up just down the road from Chester "Chet" Atkins and he was undoubtedly the best guitarist I've ever seen. Did not matter what you played he could play and lead with it. Amazing talent. When he was little he was so bashful that he would play in the kitchen and if you went in to listen he would stop playing. After several folks heard him they finally got him to play at pie suppers and dances. He was so good that none of the locals would/could play with him. Great man. I built a resophonic (dobro) guitar and took it to Jerry Douglas to see what he thought about it. THAT man is incredible! I had the distinct pleasure of meeting a gentleman by the name of Johnny Bellar in Nashville at that time and he is Jerry's equal! I grew up in a bluegrass family and met several GREAT musicians in my life. Cody Kilby and Brad Paisley are awesome guitarists as well. Never heard anyone play the blues as clean as SRV. Could listen to that guy for days. I guess there are so many styles it would be hard to pick just one but I know this. If you ask anyone of them who the greatest guitar player is they will all tell you Chet Atkins.

Grew up just down the road from Chester "Chet" Atkins and he was undoubtedly the best guitarist I've ever seen. Did not matter what you played he could play and lead with it. Amazing talent. When he was little he was so bashful that he would play in the kitchen and if you went in to listen he would stop playing. After several folks heard him they finally got him to play at pie suppers and dances. He was so good that none of the locals would/could play with him. Great man. I built a resophonic (dobro) guitar and took it to Jerry Douglas to see what he thought about it. THAT man is incredible! I had the distinct pleasure of meeting a gentleman by the name of Johnny Bellar in Nashville at that time and he is Jerry's equal! I grew up in a bluegrass family and met several GREAT musicians in my life. Cody Kilby and Brad Paisley are awesome guitarists as well. Never heard anyone play the blues as clean as SRV. Could listen to that guy for days. I guess there are so many styles it would be hard to pick just one but I know this. If you ask anyone of them who the greatest guitar player is they will all tell you Chet Atkins.

That is really awesome to hear that he was that great from an early age, which I figured. Did you stay in touch with him later on in life?

OOHEFF My dad grew up with Chet and went to Vietnam with his brother. The Atkins were one of the first families to have a TV set so the neighborhood kids would go to their house and watch westerns on Saturdays. I never could play the guitar but Chet always encouraged me. I took up the banjo and got it right off the bat. He always told me "Guitar pickers are a dime a dozen but a good banjer picker is hard to find!" He was a very humble man with no ego. Just plain old Chester Atkins.

Back
Top Bottom