• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best deer Caliber choice

Best deer rifle cartridges if you had to pick just one.

• 30-30

• 30-06

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• 6.5 Grendel

• 7mm

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I chose 243 in the poll. It’s what we have and my son and daughter as well as myself shoot it well. So far it’s been up to the task on whitetail and pigs. I don’t think it’s perfect but it’s perfect for us.
When ammo becomes available I’ll probably break out the 30/30 only because it was my dads and he passed away in August. Sort of has me wanting to take one with his old Marlin

I remember a buddy giving me the green light to hunt his family’s property... I asked what boom stick I should bring and he said whatever I want...

I snagged my grandfather’s 12 gauge slug gun and found myself on a tripod 30’ in the air overlooking 300+ yards of fields hahaha

I knew I was screwed until 5 deer were literally below me at the base of the stand, dropped one with a neck shot and it got up and ran off to the neighboring field. A few min later I heard a shot... my buddy shot the deer that I tagged hahaha

So the moral of my experience is, know your hunting spot and choose the proper caliber based off of that. I wish I had brought my .308 that day lol
Wait.....you shot a deer in the neck with a 12 gauge slug and it got up and ran off?......daaaaam

If I had to pick ONE it would be based on ammo availability/choices so .308 gets the vote for me... but 95% of the time you will find me carrying an ultralight 6.5 Grendel rig... more than adequate for whitetails and ridiculously handy.

Unless you have some unique open space that affords a longer shot. Any (caliber) well placed bullet will do the trick. Many years ago I worked with a guy who never used anything other than a 22LR. I don’t know if that was legal in that state. But he was all about one shot, one kill.

Well I have always preferred the 30:06. It is readily available and always does me good. I like others have taken them with other calibers but that’s my favorite

Back
Top Bottom