• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best deer Caliber choice

Best deer rifle cartridges if you had to pick just one.

• 30-30

• 30-06

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• 6.5 Grendel

• 7mm

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
A 6.5CM will level deer. Super close the round dumps all of its energy and doesn’t exit, mid to far, the hunting rounds do what they are supposed to do. The tracking jobs and lost deer are probably from inexperienced shooter / hunters, who bought into the hype, shot way too far for their comfort / skill, and / or did not properly zero their rifles and had a clean miss. People rarely want to analyze themselves. It’s easier to analyze their cartridge, bullet type, gun, scope, etc, etc….

It’s like the case studies in the army about soldiers “shooting the enemy 20x and they still wouldn’t go down! Therefore the 5.56 is ineffective.” Well it turns out they shot 20x but only hit the enemy once in the arm.

Additionally, it’s super popular so there’s a larger pool of people using it so you’ll here more stories / have more data points. How many stories do you hear of guys losing deer to a 6 Dasher or 30BR? Lol
You gotts to know your ammo and mostly deer anatomy!

If an arrow will kill a deer ( a real sportsman's choice ) it doesn't take much gun period. I think I heard a 375 H&H. That is a water buffalo gun.
You did, when you get tired of having to pass because you don't have a good shot to put deer in the freezer.....I can shoot through a small tree or in brush so think you need optics just to make the deer out. Don't mess up meat and get an instant good blood trail. It was what I already had. Hope to go to Africa some day. However running out of time. To each their own

I have been using a couple of different 7.62x39 AR15's for years. Suppressed with Hornady 123 SST rounds works just fine for my hunting in the woods.

You did, when you get tired of having to pass because you don't have a good shot to put deer in the freezer.....I can shoot through a small tree or in brush so think you need optics just to make the deer out. Don't mess up meat and get an instant good blood trail. It was what I already had. Hope to go to Africa some day. However running out of time. To each their own

That sucks. I hope you get there.

I have talked about being babysitting by lady down here that had four boys that I grew up with on about 400 acres. One of them sits in a stand each year kills a big buck nice trophy every year and process it and gives it away to the needy. That's all well with good intentions however I don't believe that you should just ruthlessly slaughter an animal just to give it away. If you're not going to eat it don't kill it. Hell that's just killing!

I have talked about being babysitting by lady down here that had four boys that I grew up with on about 400 acres. One of them sits in a stand each year kills a big buck nice trophy every year and process it and gives it away to the needy. That's all well with good intentions however I don't believe that you should just ruthlessly slaughter an animal just to give it away. If you're not going to eat it don't kill it. Hell that's just killing!
Does it really matter who eats it ?

Back
Top Bottom