• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Bourbon that doesn't break the bank?

I finally found a bottle of Blanton's..Just a matter of time with the Brothers, to break it open and try..
I still have a little of my Blanton's left in the bottle. It's pretty good. It costs me $60. But one of my bourbon buddies picked up some Blanton's Gold we're going to try. I've never had the Gold edition, kind of curious to see the difference.

I found a place that was selling a bottle of the gold and they were asking $500. I'll be interested to see if it's still there next time I stop in.
My friend got to buy it through a liquor lottery at a local store. He didn't pay even close to that for the Gold Edition.
It's getting hard to even buy green label Weller's now. Too many people trying bourbons these days. I did find the Weller 12 year, but they wanted $300?? And the full proof and Antique 107 were $250 each! I like Weller, but I'm not paying those prices.
I recently had a good bit of William Larue Weller. I've got to say it's one of the best (if not the best) bourbons I've ever had.
I did recently buy an Eagle Rare 10 yr, but I paid $20 over the usual for it. I don't mind paying a little over for bourbons I enjoy, but I'm not going to pay outrageous prices.

Reactions: JWC
I have to admit, that I am just not a fan of rye or bourbons with a mash bill that is heavy on rye. I do like Four Roses Single Barrel, which is about 17 to 20% rye and I do like Basil Hayden which has a mash bill of around 22 to 25% rye. I prefer a bourbon with a mash bill that is high in corn. I guess that is why I like Elijah Craig, Woodford Reserve, JD Single barrel barrel proof, Bookers and a slew of others with a high corn content. Not a huge fan of wheated bourbons, but I do drink some Makers on occasion.
I am not a fan of Wild Turkey, probably because I drank way too much of it when I was younger. But I did try Russell's Reserve the other day, and enjoyed it. Russell's is produced at the Wild Turkey distillery. Russell's is a very good 10 year old bourbon that is, in my opinion, a steal at $38. Yeah, there is a bit of Wild Turkey taste, but not so much to be just Wild Turkey in another bottle. I would recommend this to anyone. Good enough to drink neat, with ice and will hold up to mixing a very good Old Fashioned. Just my opinion, but if you get the chance try it.

Back
Top Bottom