• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best all around base layer

Powerhouse

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
In the process of replacing all of my hunting clothes before deer season, only thing left in question is what base layer to use. Looking for something that will move moisture away from the skin and provide a little added warmth. Don't really need a heavy insulating base layer,mostly just looking to stay dry under my clothes.

Not at all interested in what the name on it is, scent block, silver infused whatever, just good results. I've been looking at merino wool, silk, and patagonia capilene. I'm leaning toward the wool, because the synthetics I've been using for the past few years (U/A ripoffs) have a slight odor and they get funky in a hurry, supposedly natural fibers do not do that.

What do you guys use or recommend?

I always wear wool socks when hunting but never have as a base layer.

Many wools now are not as itchy as the old school wool most people think of.

A lot of people wear underarmor base layers with great results and I tend to wear breatheable yet warm base layers made of microfiber so I can breathe yet still be comfortable and warm.

I also like them in turtlenecks, the longer the better but I'd like to find some nice camo underarmor turtlenecks to match my face mask.

Icebreaker thin long sleeve wool shirt. Moves moisture like a champ, not bulky, and never gets funky because it's 100% merino wool. A little pricey but worth it in my opinion. I sweat like a fat kid, and wear one for snow skiing and backpacking in the winter, and it always keeps me dry and warm. Look for them on sale to save some bucks.

Back
Top Bottom