• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best .300blkout hunting setup

Why not use a adequate HV round? You can still use your can. If you are going to shoot at four legged creatures, at least do it ethically. The two legged type I could care less about.
This whole thread was about how to ethically use a suppressed 300blkout bolt gun for close range deer hunting.
I have done extensive research on the subject and I spend the range time necessary to put hunting bullets where they need to go.
Basically, I’m extending my bow range 15 or 20 yards with a much more accurate weapon that will create a wound channel larger than a broadhead. And I’m using magnified optics for precise shot placement...will probably all be neck shots. With bullets specifically designed to expand at subsonic velocities.
My reason for desiring to shoot subsonic vs supersonic are good ones.
Which I don’t care to explain to a stranger.
i appreciate and share your concern for the game animals and ethical hunting.
I have taken countless game in over 50 years of hunting...ethically.
Thankfully I’ll answer to my Maker and my conscience for my hunting choices...
but I don’t answer to you.

No idea on this one, as I don't hunt with subs, unless I was head shooting and at that point I'd just pick the one my rifle shot the best. I use the Barnes 110g TAC-TX when I deer hunt and drive through the front shoulder just for extra measure. Always gives me about a 25-30y death run. That's at 2200 fps from 10.25".

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I have had bad results with subsonic 300blk hunting. I used the 200gr maker bullet. Lost 2 deer in a row. Both under 40 yards.
Switched to the Barnes tac-tx 110gr and haven’t lost a deer yet. Maybe killed 10-12 with it.
Those Barnes are the only bullets I'll use to with out my 300. I just don't have the faith in the sub's to hunt with them. I've heard way to many horror stories. I still use the can and it helps a lot to keep my ears from ringing even with super's.

Subsonics are great for culling groups of garden pest when shooting off the back porch.

I post what works for me.
I don't post load data ever.

I shoot supers and subs so I like to know what round does what at certain ranges.

I have Ruger American rifles in .300 BLK, 7.62x39, and 6.5 Grendel is a recent purchase I need to get aquainted with.
The Ruger's are lite and great for a toss about hunting rig.

For optics I am switching to Vortex 1x8's on the .300 BLK and 7.62x39.

I'm planning to shoot a doe this year with my setup.

10.3" SBR
Rugged Surge can
Gorilla Silverback 205gr sub's

I also have a box of Barnes Tac-x 110's if the subs don't do the job well enough.
Though I don't want to have to re-zero my scope if I don't have to.

We will see. I only feel comfortable out to 80 yards. Past that I just don't think I have the velocity for sufficient penetration or bullet expansion. We shall see. I'll let you know how it preforms.

Thats quite a smartass reply but you do you hero.
This whole thread was about how to ethically use a suppressed 300blkout bolt gun for close range deer hunting.
I have done extensive research on the subject and I spend the range time necessary to put hunting bullets where they need to go.
Basically, I’m extending my bow range 15 or 20 yards with a much more accurate weapon that will create a wound channel larger than a broadhead. And I’m using magnified optics for precise shot placement...will probably all be neck shots. With bullets specifically designed to expand at subsonic velocities.
My reason for desiring to shoot subsonic vs supersonic are good ones.
Which I don’t care to explain to a stranger.
i appreciate and share your concern for the game animals and ethical hunting.
I have taken countless game in over 50 years of hunting...ethically.
Thankfully I’ll answer to my Maker and my conscience for my hunting choices...
but I don’t answer to you.

The rig that was the genesis for this thread. I’m not an urban sniper but the rig has proven to be a handy late night dispatcher of the armadillos in the yard that are digging under my porch.
Its kinda heavy to carry in the woods for deer so I was wondering about lighter weight options and expanding subs for deer neck shots at 50-60 yds. Subsonic suppressed is addicting.
Gun is very accurate, just heavy. I was even considering cutting the 16.5” barrel and doing a pin/weld on the muzzle break/can adapter to reduce weight and keep 16” rifle status.
Maybe a lightweight chassis. Could always do the ttx supers when leaves are all gone and longer shots possible.
Heck, for a short range gun like this even a barrel spiral flute is on the table lol.
Only thing that gives me pause is I don’t think they made a whole lot of these in .300blckout.

Attachments

• F30DB8F5-37E6-4904-A63D-9C4FCFBDE197.jpeg
    F30DB8F5-37E6-4904-A63D-9C4FCFBDE197.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 13
  • EC9AD5EC-7F99-4C02-B841-396F761667D5.jpeg
    EC9AD5EC-7F99-4C02-B841-396F761667D5.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 13
  • E44325E1-A658-4042-91D7-89D2A55EC525.jpeg
    E44325E1-A658-4042-91D7-89D2A55EC525.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 11
  • CD6333DC-FF83-4809-851B-4E5DA2F6C7F2.jpeg
    CD6333DC-FF83-4809-851B-4E5DA2F6C7F2.jpeg