• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beretta Nano

Bought my wife one of these in pink at Academy Sports for $399. She's put around 300 rounds through it so far without any problems and is pretty good with it on paper.

Note: I originally posted this review over at GPDO, but thought it would fit well with this discussion:

After going through a series of tiny 380's I decided one day, for no particular reason, that I needed a good, reliable, single stack 9mm. I wanted more 'firepower' and ammo manufacturers were making some real advancements in bullet technology to improve performance out of short barreled pistols.

About two months ago I started reading up on the Beretta Nano. I had started to sour on another famous brand of single stack pistol when it started accumulate plastic shavings inside the recoil spring as it 'wore in' the polymer frame (and no, it wasn't a Glock) so I started looking for a replacement. I've never owned a Beretta product but have used them extensively in the military and always considered them, quality wise, to be at the top tier of firearms manufacturers. Sadly, they are also priced near the top-tier. Not outrageously, but certainly you could expect to pay a premium for a Beretta when compared to a similar offering from Ruger, S&W and other makers.

The Nano, however, seemed to break that mold. Here was a high quality, well thought out and executed concealed carry pistol that is priced at or below what other makers are asking for similar products. Keep in mind that the Nano 's competition isn't Kel-Tec or Bersa. Beretta positions this pistol to compete with similar offerings from other quality makers like S&W, Kahr, Springfield, Kimber, Glock and Ruger. The quality of manufacture displayed with the Nano reflects Beretta's market goals. This is a beautifully finished firearm. From the slide machining to the molding of the polymer frame to the captive recoil spring setup to the beefy stainless steel frame insert, it's clear Beretta didn't cut any corners with this little gun. Yet the street price of this pistol falls right at the lower edge of the price range for quality pistols of its type - you can pick them up new for right around $400. Folks, for what you get this is a bargain.

But how does it run? This is perhaps the most accurate small pistol I've ever shot. With quality ammo (NOT cheap range reloads - more on that in a bit) this pistol will easily put six rounds into one ragged hole at 7 yards. I generally shoot Hornady Critical Defense ammo (either 115 or 124 gr non +P) and the accuracy this little pistol delivers with that ammo is great.

What the Nano doesn't like, and this is well documented but Beretta refuses to acknowledge it, is cheap 115 gr range ammo. You can expect several FTEs on each magazine shooting the low powered stuff. If you go up to 124 gr quality range ammo (like the Speer Lawman 124 gr) it runs just fine. Why the bobbles with cheap 115 gr? I blame the heavy slide and stiff recoil spring assembly. Some blame extractor problems, but since this pistol runs 100% with quality standard pressure ammo of any bullet weight I'll put the blame on the ammo, not the gun.

So far I've got about 400 rounds through this little pistol. I bought it used so there's no telling how many rounds the original owner put through it, but given it's like-new condition it couldn't have been many. So far it has been 100% reliable running the quality ammo I discuss above. That's 100% shooting two handed, one handed strong side and one handed weak side. I've even intentionally limp wristed it to try to get a failure. No luck. This thing runs just great.

How about ergonomics. Well, it's a single stack polymer pistol built for concealment. It's thin - very thin. Average handed folks will find their pinky will dangle below the magazine floorplate. Given the intended use of this gun this is not a negative. However, I run a +0 Pearce grip extension on the 6 round magazine which greatly improves the grip ergonomics and helps with control. Beretta also includes an 8 round magazine with the pistol that actually gives the pistol a 1911-style grip feel.

It's been a long time since a small pistol has impressed me this much. At 7 yards it is as accurate as a Glock 19, conceals better than a Glock 26 and offers outstanding quality and performance at a surprisingly low price. In its class I think it is probably the best single stack 9mm currently available.

IMG_4246.JPG

Now, since I wrote this review several weeks ago I've got some updated input. First, I installed a set of Talon grips, which help a lot with the feel of the pistol but add zero weight or width. Next, I've put an additional 200 rounds through the pistol to see if the 115 gr. 'sensitivity' goes away. I'm happy to report that this little gun is now running 100% with all loads -from cheapo low power range ammo to +P NATO standard loads. The trigger has also started to smooth up nicely and a lot of the original grittiness is gone. It's still not a Glock-like pull (and never will be!), but for a small concealable pistol it's pretty darned good. The more I shoot this pistol the more I like it.

These pistols will never be cheaper than they are right now (running about $399 in several local stores) and are a bargain at that price. Highly recommended.

Female Here, The Nano, is my favorite of the 3 mentioned-Nano, G26, CM9 to carry. I've had all 3, The CM9 for me was nice a light, but the recoil was a bit to much after shooting the amount I practice. The G-26 will always be a favorite to shoot, I love Glock, and It just shoots easy w/ the 3.5 trigger. For the Nano I carry clipped on jeans lower back area. Feels right and make for easy draw.

By the way looking for a G-26 in OD or FDE to purchase.

I bought a Nano about 2 years ago as a back-up pocket carry with my SIG 220, Took it to the range and fired 7 rds at 15 yards and all were head shots with 3-4 inch pattern, I was very impressed. Not bad for a small sub 9mm weapon, bought another for my wife to carry when she's not carrying her 40 SIG 2022. Both weapons cost me $350 each. I wonder if they'll make one in 40, if they do, I think I'll give it a second look..

Back
Top Bottom