• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beef Stew Recipes, input please

leetheman81

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
165   0
Reaction score
Cold and hungry, i want to make beef stew. Whats your guys favorite recipe for a homemade beef stew? Stew beef, carrots, potato, onion and throw it all in crock pot or what?
Thanks odt!

Cold and hungry, i want to make beef stew. Whats your guys favorite recipe for a homemade beef stew? Stew beef, carrots, potato, onion and throw it all in crock pot or what?
Thanks odt!
I like to use a Dutch oven. Seems to taste better. I toss the stew beef in flour, lightly. Melt butter in the DO, brown the beef. Add all your ingredients. Maybe a little sour cream. Spice it as you like it. Add a good beef bone broth for the liquid. Simmer in the oven about 225 for 4 hours. Good crusty bread and enjoy.

1 1/2 lb ish stew beef
1/4 -1/2 cup olive oil
2 large potatoes
4-5 carrots
1 medium yellow onion
6 Wyler beef bouillon cubes or similar
8 cups water
couple tablespoons Kitchen Bouquet
1 cup flour (may need more depending on amount of beef)
1/2 tsp each fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion salt
while dissolving beef cubes in water over low heat, peel and cube potatoes, slice carrots, peel and quarter onion.
heat oil in dutch oven or other large pot over medium-high heat
in large produce bag, add flour and spices. Add beef and shake ‘til coated.
add beef to hot oil and cook ‘til browned, adding more flour and oil to make extra paste.
when browned, reduce heat, slowly add bouillon, stirring constantly ’til all flour is dissolved.
add carrots, cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally to keep flour from lumping
add potatoes, cook 10 minutes, still stirring occasionally
add onion, cook ’til veggies tender.
add Kitchen Bouquet to get desired color of stew.
This is my go to recipe, a little involved but worth the trouble.

I use a Dutch oven because it tastes better as well.

Take my cubed stew meat. Fattier the better. Toss in a little flour, colemans mustard powder, salt, pepper, sweet paprika, and bacon fat.

Brown well with a little olive oil in pan. In batches if you have too so you don't crowd the pan while browning.

2 large onion per 4 lbs of meat. 4 carrots. 4 parsnips. 3 turnips. 2 potatoes. 4 celery sticks. Mushrooms. 4 tomatoes. Some garlic 2 bay leaves salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.

When meat browned remove and set aside. Olive oil then Sautee onion. Add all veggies. Add back in meat. Add garlic. As soon as you smell garlic Add 12 cups of beef broth, 4 bullion cubes, a shot of red wine, bay leaves and any other spices. 2 teaspoon Worcester sauce. Add 1/2 stick butter.

Remove from stove and throw into preheated oven at 325 for a few hours.

When done take out of oven and put back on stove. Take 4-5 tbsp of cornstarch and mix with cold water in a glass. Put a fine strainer into stew. Pour cornstarch into mostly submerged strainer slowly while whisking until gravy is right consistency.

Eat.

For venison sub sweet potatoes for potatoes. It's good.

I use a Dutch oven because it tastes better as well.

Take my cubed stew meat. Fattier the better. Toss in a little flour, colemans mustard powder, salt, pepper, sweet paprika, and bacon fat.

Brown well with a little olive oil in pan. In batches if you have too so you don't crowd the pan while browning.

2 large onion per 4 lbs of meat. 4 carrots. 4 parsnips. 3 turnips. 2 potatoes. 4 celery sticks. Mushrooms. 4 tomatoes. Some garlic 2 bay leaves salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.

When meat browned remove and set aside. Olive oil then Sautee onion. Add all veggies. Add back in meat. Add garlic. As soon as you smell garlic Add 12 cups of beef broth, 4 bullion cubes, a shot of red wine, bay leaves and any other spices. 2 teaspoon Worcester sauce. Add 1/2 stick butter.

Remove from stove and throw into preheated oven at 325 for a few hours.

When done take out of oven and put back on stove. Take 4-5 tbsp of cornstarch and mix with cold water in a glass. Put a fine strainer into stew. Pour cornstarch into mostly submerged strainer slowly while whisking until gravy is right consistency.

Eat.

For venison sub sweet potatoes for potatoes. It's good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-173627_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-173627_Gallery.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 17
I agree with the other guys on a Dutch Oven, hunk of beef seared over unsalted butter, some water, pile of fresh veggies, seasons, and let it simmer for a while. I too toss a bit of flower to thicken it up and either pour it over some roasted mini gold potatoes or rice with some crunchy bread!

whatever size roast or collection of stew meat ( I usually do about 2.5lb whole roast, but chunks will work)
1/2 stick butter
1 packet ranch mix or 2 tablespoons if you have a big container of the dried stuff
1 jar of pepperoncini peppers, mild, whole is better than rings.
1 packet of brown gravy mix
a heap of rough chunked taters, optional

put roast in crockpot
place butter on top of roast
dump all other contents into crockpot
(note: if using taters, use a full stick butter and two packs brown gravy)
pour entire contents of pepperoncini jar, vinegar and all, into the pot. The peppers get deliciously flavored and taste like little peppery meatballs.

crockpot low for 4 - 7 hours. Sometimes it's done in 4. Sometimes it's done in 7. Depends on your meat, really.

Need a mexican flavor flare? Instead of ranch and brown gravy, use about four tablespoons of dried taco seasoning and a jar of jalepenos instead of pepperoncini.

Back
Top Bottom