• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bean Boots

Tikker

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
My first pair of Bean boot's arrived today. Been wanting something made in the USA rather than throwing capital into some other country & these seem to get high praise. Given they've had them around since 1911 without changing the design is impressive.

Gonna stomp in some mud this weekend that I call my yard to test them out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_170954_032.jpg
    IMG_20220120_170954_032.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 111
Be sure and treat the leather and stitching with leather dressing.

View attachment 3896438

Way ahead of ya, I ordered some Montana Pitch Blend treatment for it a few days after ordering the boots.

what size do you normally wear?
what size in those did you buy and do they fit good?

I wear an 11.5 on my Merrell & Solomon shoes, but after reading through all the reviews on LL Bean boots I was on the fence about buying in my size range since they are designed to be worn with thick socks like they did when they were created. But for the pair that I purchase has a fleece lined inner that helps take up the space a thicker sock would. So with this pair I purchased a size 11. With my good hiking socks it's fits really well, a little extra room in the toes compared to what I'm used to but nothing uncomfortable. With my daily socks that are a tad worn they seem to shift around a bit. I tend to tie my shoes as tight as they go and don't notice this in my trail running sneakers but the boot doesn't snug up as tight as they do.

I purchased it through Nordstrom since they had it discounted $50 (lucky find)& they only had this size and 8 & 9 available so I took a chance. They advise only going a half size down when worn with normal socks or a half size up if wearing extra thick socks. If I were to buy a normal non-lined Bean Boot's I'd go with a size 10 to see how it fit's for warmer weather. Since Nordstrom carries them I'll likely stop at one of their stores to see what they have and the how fitment is before ordering. I was tempted to order a narrow size since I dislike shifting side to side in shoes, but since these are 8" tall & lined, I figured these would be my cold weather shoes & not worry about summer time issues

I almost went with Shnees boots since they are also made in the USA, Montana to be exact, & are sized to the normal sizes that people would wear. They are a bit more expensive for the same style boot, but there shouldn't be any guessing about what size would work best.

I purchased it through Nordstrom since they had it discounted $50 (lucky find)& they only had this size and 8 & 9 available so I took a chance. They advise only going a half size down when worn with normal socks or a half size up if wearing extra thick socks. If I were to buy a normal non-lined Bean Boot's I'd go with a size 10 to see how it fit's for warmer weather. Since Nordstrom carries them I'll likely stop at one of their stores to see what they have and the how fitment is before ordering. I was tempted to order a narrow size since I dislike shifting side to side in shoes, but since these are 8" tall & lined, I figured these would be my cold weather shoes & not worry about summer time issues
Just re-read you post.

respectfully suggest that you are overthinking the size thing. First it you do any walking your feet are going to swell, and these are really comfortable for walking.

Secondly, if these have a fault, it's that the bottom makes your foot sweat. If you think they are too big, I would just wear two pair of cotton socks.

Thirdly, I think L.L. Bean overstates the issue.

Just re-read you post.

respectfully suggest that you are overthinking the size thing.

Only reason I overthought it was due to the reviews left on the website & how LL Bean say's to order them. Many people had issues with buying using their normal sizes and were forced to return for a smaller size. It's true for a normal hiking boots to get a larger size due to the amount of walking that causes feet to swell. But my feet won't swell any given amount from normal walking or yard work throughout the day, if they do I'd probably have to see my Dr. for any underlying condition that needs addressed. Now if I was hiking uneven terrain while carrying a pack/load all day, I'm sure the extra weight and exertion would cause swelling to my feet, but I take those issues into account when I plan that sort of activity.

I just felt the interior of my new boots and the felt lining runs all the way to the toes which would take up space that normally is left empty on their standard shoes. My quality socks work well with these boots, but I wouldn't suggest someone to buy their normal size in these boots unless they ordered the lined/insulated versions.

If I were a size 11 & ordered these boots in size 11, I know I'd dislike that much extra room in the front.

Fantastic boots have worn them since 1976… My boys have multiple pairs. They are the easiest company to work with.
I have LL Bean jackets that are nearly 40 years old

Best boot I've ever owned. Had the bottom replaced twice, some of the hooks replaced, you can keep them forever because Bean will keep refurbishing them.

My feet and ankles have swollen so much I can't wear them anymore. but absolutely the best hunting boot I ever owned.
Here's my pair. I've had these probably 35 years or so. Being a former Yankee, I bought these from the LL Bean store. Had the bottoms re-done by them at least 3 times. Used SnoSeal on the leather. I'd say I got my money's worth.
20220121_154420.jpg
20220121_154411.jpg

Back
Top Bottom