• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bayonets... possibly a good idea?

Are bayonets a good idea for dealing with unarmed idiots?

• Yes

• No

• Chalupas

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nope. A dead idiot is better than a wounded idiot who will sue you later.
Maybe the district attorney is less apt to file assault charges against someone who defends himself with a bayonet than he would be to file murder charges against someone who uses a firearm to kill an aggressor in self defense.

I agree there's probably alot of psychological effect at the sight of a bayonet hanging off the end of your weapon.
However, in my opinion, I'd never retrieve a long gun as an intimidation factor (as in 1 of the mentioned cases), nor draw my pistol.
If I have to remove my pistol from it's holster, the decision will likely have already been made that it will be used for its intended purpose in defense of life.
I'm a total layman when it comes to all of this, so take the following opinion with a grain of salt. The advice 'I don't pull my gun unless I'm going to use it' is often good general advice, as most situations don't even call for a deadly threat of violence, but there are many real world scenarios where people pull a gun and that alone simply defuses the situation. I've heard the suggestion thrown around that the majority of the time someone pulls a gun in self defense that no shots are fired and simply presenting the gun dissuades the aggressor.

I agree there's probably alot of psychological effect at the sight of a bayonet hanging off the end of your weapon.
However, in my opinion, I'd never retrieve a long gun as an intimidation factor (as in 1 of the mentioned cases), nor draw my pistol.
If I have to remove my pistol from it's holster, the decision will likely have already been made that it will be used for its intended purpose in defense of life.

That's the big factor to me. Bringing a firearm or having one visible pretty much immediately escalates the situation to the highest factor.

That one guy (who has a better argument than the Aubrey case) was able to go inside grab a long gun and then come outside while leaving it pointed at the ground. Then after a tangle and being separated he shot.

He had a lot of options before it came to that and he didn't choose any of them.

The other guy was an idiot too, but damn. Wasn't he showing up to his cheating wife's house to pick up his kids that she was (illegally) keeping from him?

More like a pike when you're out of rounds...

IMG_5378.JPG

Back
Top Bottom