• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Battery Power in SHTF Situations

Good afternoon. Solar is a fantastic option for harvesting energy. The only downside to solar harvesting energy is in the case that you have one heavy overcast days into brown outs. I certainly don’t need to say solar harvesting energy I’m all for it. It’s just something to consider.

If you’re harvesting energy on a large scale like [mention]Leveraction44 [/mention] posted, this is a fantastic way to go as you’re going to have a huge battery bank to store all the harvested energy.

If in a Homestead, may want to look at a Generac or any generator to be able to add a little bit more self-sufficient and reliable power for off the grid living when you have city hook up failure as we all do unless completely off grid.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember people lived for literally thousands of years without AC.

As stated - Solar is not a portable option for AC. A small bumper pull RV will give them what they need (portable power via generator) with a minimum of cost and headaches. Plus a toilet, fresh water and fridge.

Provided the bumper pole came with a small generator enough to power them for off grid living or they previously bought one prior to having the bumper pull.

Most bumper poles are lightweight and do not come with its own generator. You have to purchase it as an add-on from a manufacture unless you’re buying from a private sale that already has it with the unit you’re buying.

I have a generator that I rely upon for shorter outages - say several days of no electricity. I used it a few years back for 3 straight days. If I were buying a new one, I would get one that could run on gasoline, NG, or propane.

Large scale Grid down scenario is a different ball game. Solar would be the best for that. I just don't have the $$$ to commit to an event that may never happen.

I have a generator that I rely upon for shorter outages - say several days of no electricity. I used it a few years back for 3 straight days. If I were buying a new one, I would get one that could run on gasoline, NG, or propane.

Large scale Grid down scenario is a different ball game. Solar would be the best for that. I just don't have the $$$ to commit to an event that may never happen.
Solar is over rated. I spent $9,000 on a system that will maintain my freezers if needed. To get enough power to run a whole home will take more $ and panels than I have in bank or room for.

Solar is over rated. I spent $9,000 on a system that will maintain my freezers if needed. To get enough power to run a whole home will take more $ and panels than I have in bank or room for.

I’m curious how solar is over rated.

Question: Doesn’t it have a place for energy harvesting?

Respectfully
Chris

I’m curious how solar is over rated.

Question: Doesn’t it have a place for energy harvesting?

Respectfully
Chris

It is a great alternative. However in order to do say a 40kw a day system to run an entire house it would run around $10,000 or better. If you compare the amount of your electric bill over a year it would take $ for return $ MANY MANY years.

I’ve been doing solar for 5 years now. I check EVERY YEAR to get upgraded for less money with better more efficient panels and it is still beyond the money it’s worth. Believe me. I want to go TOTAL off grid but it’s impractical.

It is a great alternative. However in order to do say a 40kw a day system to run an entire house it would run around $10,000 or better. If you compare the amount of your electric bill over a year it would take $ for return $ MANY MANY years.

Thanks for the rational... it seems very sound to me knowing your an actual owner of a solar system and not a keyboard command looking things up on the net...

Respectfully
Chris

Back
Top Bottom