Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. 10 Year Anniversary Gun Show & Swap Meet - August 29 - Click here for tickets and click here for info!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  3. Featured Listings are working again! Feature your listing on every page for $3 a day! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice

Basic Precision Rifle Course, March 14-15, Pelham TN

Thread in 'Tactics & Training' started by cmshoot, May 13, 2019.

1. cmshoot

cmshoot The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

121   0

Rating
    100%
    Basic Precision Rifle Course

March 14-15, 2020

Class will be held at the Elk River Training Center on their 1,000 yard range

4626 SR 50
    Pelham TN 37366

Both days will start at 0800hrs Central Standard Time and run until approximately 1700hrs CST. There will be a 1 hour lunch break each day.

Cost for the course is $600. Limited to 10 students.

DAY 1
    Topics covered will include (but aren't limited to):
    Selection, care and maintenance of the entire system (rifle, scope, rings, mounts, ammunition, bipod, cases, etc.). This includes a comprehensive disassembly and other Armorer's tips.
    Marksmanship basics
    Use of optics (including adjustments and all other functions)
    Use of data book
    Zeroing
    CCB/CHB/HFB
    We’ll shoot to approximately 500 yards on Day 1.

DAY 2
    Use of a mil- and MOA-based reticles for ranging unknown distance targets.
    Use of hold-offs as compared to dialing dope.
    We will pick up where we left off on Day 1, and continue out to 1,000 yards. I will be working with each shooter to fine tune their skills and fix any issues they have.

We will shoot in 2 relays, so one relay can learn the proper techniques that a Spotter needs to assist the Shooter. All students will shoot to 1,000 yards.

Gear list will include:
    Rifle capable of 1MOA. Bolt actions and semi-automatics are both welcome
    Quality optics. The following features are mandatory on the optic:
    -Finger adjustable turrets with audible/tactile “clicks”, MOA or mil are fine
    -Ranging reticle, mil or MOA based are both acceptable
    Ammunition, 200 rounds. Ammunition must be "match grade" from a reputable manufacturer, or known handloads of equal or better accuracy
    Data book w/ calculator (any calculator that multiplies and divides will work. I highly recommend the Storm Tactical modular rite in the rain databooks)
    Rifle-mounted bipod, or front rest
    Rear bag(s) (optional)
    Shooting mat (optional)
    Minimum 5 “dummy” rounds
    Spotting scope (optional)
    Eye and ear protection
    Clothes and footwear appropriate to the weather. If it rains, we train, as long as there is no thunder/lightning.
    If you are military/LE, it is preferred that you use your duty gear, body armor and other ancillary equipment that you will use on duty. Train like you fight!

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
    1. Contact me prior to enrolling and let me know what rifle and optic you plan on using.

2. It is preferred that your rifle be fully assembled and sighted in with a recent 100 yard zero prior to the class. The zero must be done with the ammunition that you will be using in the class. I offer my services for free to any of my students who need assistance with any rifle or optics work, or zeroing, that they may need.

3. Ammunition must be “match grade” from a known manufacturer, or handloads that you have shot out of the rifle you are bringing to the class and are sure of their accuracy.

4. A bipod or ruck to shoot off, as well as a rear bag. For a bipod, I highly recommend the Harris BRM-S (6”-9”, notched leg, swiveling). I have bipods and rear bags to loan during the course.

5. If you don't have some sort of adjustable cheekpiece, or cheekpad, I recommend one. The comb of your stock needs to be high enough that your cheek bone rests on it naturally when you have a perfect sight picture, not your jawbone or the middle of your cheek. Ask several of my former students and they'll tell you this makes a HUGE difference.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about any of your gear. I would rather sort the problems out ahead of time than have you show up at the class with gear that won't work, or that is set up wrong.

I will reiterate, I offer my services for free to students when it comes to mounting up scopes/bases/rings (including lapping the rings), weighting and texturing stocks, and any other tweaking that your system may need. I will also assist in getting your rifle zeroed prior to the class.

If you are a LEO, contact me about POST credit.

Other than confirming 100yd zeroes, all targets will be reactive steel.

Please visit Precision Applications, LLC for more information about the training and Instructors.

Semper Fi!

WinstonSmith likes this.
  2. cmshoot

Supporter

121   0

Rating
    100%
    Slots available. I have equipment, rifles, and optics to loan.

3. cmshoot

Supporter

121   0

Rating
    100%
    Class went great and weather ended up being perfect.

Students used an even mix of .308’s and 6.5 Creedmoors. No gas guns this go ‘round, all bolt actions. Bergara’s, RPR’s, and a Daniel Defense DELTA 5. For a first, the majority of the class ran MILRAD optics (Nightforce, Vortex Razor, and Vortex Viper PST) with a smaller number of MOA (Nightforce).

Ran to 400yds on the first day. Started at 500yds on the second day and ran out to 1,000yds. Very smooth class, students were locked on with no major issues. Issues were identified and corrected by the time they got to 1,000yds, and the 2MOA/20” gong at that distance got slap wore out.

Next Basic Precision Rifle course is October 10-11.

Here’s a couple of students working on the 600yd line. @Burdy that rifle should look familiar.

4. l33571

l33571 Plan B. Have one Supporter

Supporter

34   0

Rating
    100%
    Nice! These classes are awesome and I wish I could have been there for this one. Anyone looking to shoot at distance should take this class or one of the variants that is local for short-range (to 400-500yds I think) and then has the option to move to the 500+ at Pelham.

You'll get a full set of dope out to 1000yds and @cmshoot will work with you individually during the class to resolve any issues you have. How he does that without slowing the class down is amazing but he manages to do it every single time. You also get the knowledge to be able to repeat this at your home range as this is NOT an entertainment course of just shoot to hit a target at 1000yds. He covers all the details you'll need to be able to make hits on your own at these ranges. Wind reading is another story and he's got a class for that too which I highly recommend!

cmshoot likes this.
  5. kbkatl

kbkatl Frontiersman

36   0

Rating
    100%
    I was in this session and would recommend it to anyone wanting to get into long distance shooting or anyone just wanting to get hands on experience with those extended ranges.

Class is well organized and thought out. Had good classroom instruction that taught me a few new things and lots of time on the range.

Met some good people in the class and enjoyed the entire experience.

Shep does a great job helping anyone with individual or equipment issues and has plenty of knowledge to pass on.

Worth the investment if you can make it!

cmshoot likes this.
  6. Burdy

Burdy ODT Co-Founder

Owner

154   0

Rating
    100%
    Looks like a great time. You having all the bolts and nuts done in black made a huge difference on that gun. Looks great. I have a hard time not having a thumb rest anymore now that Ive gotten used to one.

7. cmshoot

Supporter

121   0

Rating
    100%
    Yeah, it would be hard to do without now. I was playing with a McRees Precision chassis recently, which is a great chassis.....but the lack of a thumbrest made it feel weird.

8. Burdy

Burdy ODT Co-Founder

Owner

154   0

Rating
    100%
    Mcree was my first chassis. Cold and utilitarian but it did get the job done.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

cmshoot likes this.
  9. cmshoot

Supporter

121   0

Rating
    100%