Barrel chopping question

The 11-87 is has a auto-regulating gas sytem does it not?? So it's a more forgiving shotgun when shooting low-power loads with a chopped barrel than an 1100 correct? I was hoping someone would be able to tell me "If you chop it to say, 20" you must open up the ports to .XXX" I guess know that I think about it 20 gauges are even more finicky since it is a lighter load than the 12 gauge???? Looks like I am going to have to crack open another beer and do some more surfing of the 'net!!!!!

The 11-87 is has a auto-regulating gas sytem does it not?? So it's a more forgiving shotgun when shooting low-power loads with a chopped barrel than an 1100 correct? I was hoping someone would be able to tell me "If you chop it to say, 20" you must open up the ports to .XXX" I guess know that I think about it 20 gauges are even more finicky since it is a lighter load than the 12 gauge???? Looks like I am going to have to crack open another beer and do some more surfing of the 'net!!!!!

But if you were given a straight forward connect the dots... Gah, what's the fun in that? Haha

Let me tinker with the concept a bit. I'll get you a more cut and dry answer. I know for a fact a 21" barrel will work (it was a production length)

I'm liken this!
image.jpg

I'm going to drag this thread out of the closet because I recently traded for a nice Remy 1100 in 20 GA from a fellow ODT'er and would like to cut down the 23" barrel a bit if possible. I have read that 22" is the absolute minimum to cut it if you want to cycle low brass #2 and #4 buckshot like the Rio low-cost brand. Since I want to practice with the cheap stuff and want it to cycle reliably what would be the absolute minimun you could go if you had access to reamers and could step up the gas ports and wanted to shoot the cheap low-power Walmart ammo?? What would be the downside if you occasionally shot slug or OO buck?? What size ports did you take them to?? Thanks Oh yeah-here is a pic of my recent Remy 1100 in 20 GA:

View attachment 206897

Do you still have this and has it been cut?

Still have it and no I have not cut it-too skeeered too! :D I have read that 20 gauge is a different animal when it comes to cutting down the barrel. It seems that if you do cut it down to cycle low-power loads and drill out the ports than you will pretty much have to stay with those low-power loads otherwise you will beat the heck out of it with the higher loads. I'm off on another tanget right now with my .357 mag lever action and a highly modified model 81 Marlin .22. I am see-sawing back and forth between selling this and getting an 870 or just keeping this.

Bought a 20 pump here last year that was cut with a hacksaw. Took it apart and put it on a mill. Took off a few thou at a time until it was square. Eventually sold the barrel and got a factory 18.5" HD barrel.

Back
Top Bottom