• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Baofeng Radios

To legally transmit with them you need a ham license. If you want to use them illegally they will work on MURS, GMRS, and FRS frequencies. They will work on most public service frequencies as well as marine band channels but transmitting there is not only very illegal but almost guaranteed to get you caught. I sell a lot of these radios that I have programmed to use as scanners with the transmit inhibited.

Is it easy to disable the transmit function?

I have one of these and would love to play around with it, but was worried I'd end up with an FCC van parked outside my house because I accidently pressed the transmit button.

I really do need to get my license though, and this would be a great time to do it.

Is it easy to disable the transmit function?

I have one of these and would love to play around with it, but was worried I'd end up with an FCC van parked outside my house because I accidentally pressed the transmit button.

I really do need to get my license though, and this would be a great time to do it.

If you use CHIRP to program them there is a menu in the program that allows you to inhibit transmission in UHF, VHF or both bands. I wouldn't load the Baofeng programming software on to my computer as I don't know what virus or spyware might be on it. Chirp is a free program that can be downloaded from the Chirp website.

I have used the MFJ Technician Study Guide with high school students for years. It gives the exact test questions and answers. Have had 100% pass rates. Once the kids pass the test we cover theory with them. There are also online study materials.
https://hamstudy.org/tech2018

Thanks, I'll look into Chirp.

It had the old guide and ran through it, but then didn't test and now the one I have is obsolete. I just need to make time to get it all done before they update the test again.

Back
Top Bottom