• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Auto makers and 'Right to Repair"

Tractors are worse than automobiles - several major manufacturers have made new tractors virtually impossible to repair in an independent shop.

Fewer units, so not as much pressure to release the info.

Tractors are worse than automobiles - several major manufacturers have made new tractors virtually impossible to repair in an independent shop.

Fewer units, so not as much pressure to release the info.
The exact reason I own a 1968 Massey 135 diesel and a 1986 Ford 4000 diesel

I got in the repair business in 1986, the manufacturers shared info freely until computerization became more prevalent and complicated. They realized how much of the repair market they were losing out on and losing to us independents, so instead of fixing their broke inherently corrupt system, they tried to lock us out of repair info. That didnt work as the feds got involved and ruled they must share info at some point past new model years, so now they use other means to make it financially unfeasible for independents to access certain technology.

I can flash and re-learn all makes and models of cars computers, most domestic and Japanese builds cost $25-$45 per vehicle, sometimes its that price for 3 days of access. BMW, and most Europeans cost a grand or more per year. If you dont do a bunch of them you lose money. Most diagnostic info systems, Mitchell All-Data ets..., are at least several hundred a month for access. Now the car companies are limiting what is released so those companies have less and less to offer us. We are fighting it, but its a slow process.

I see the day in the not too distant future where it will just be too expensive for the independent to do much more than the most basic serve to a vehicle. The average owner will be completely unable as well.
It’s pretty much like that now especially with high end cars.
Mercedes included but after working in Mercedes’ for 25 years I don’t consider most of them high end….at all.

Those of us old to remember before computers existed, may remember that the software companies tried this - argued that when you bought software, you were only purchasing a "license" and you couldn't make a copy, you couldn't buy a new computer and install it on that. all sorts of limits on using their software that tied to the company.

The courts and the marketplace shot all that down pretty quickly.

Publishers have argued the same thing about books, and lost for decades.

I remember when I opened my first NAPA store back in 2001 we were pushing Right to Repair back then. We would get every shop, mechanic, or person who walked thru the door to sign a petition about Right to Repair, and send it to corporate. They would put them all together and present hundreds of thousands of signatures to the powers that be, but when I got out of the auto parts business, it still had not been passed.

Congress is about worthless.

And , btw, Let's go Brandon

I remember when I opened my first NAPA store back in 2001 we were pushing Right to Repair back then. We would get every shop, mechanic, or person who walked thru the door to sign a petition about Right to Repair, and send it to corporate. They would put them all together and present hundreds of thousands of signatures to the powers that be, but when I got out of the auto parts business, it still had not been passed.

Congress is about worthless.

And , btw, Let's go Brandon
I like your style.

Back
Top Bottom