• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Auto makers and 'Right to Repair"

right to repair has always been a big issue. Started getting real nasty with tractors believe it or not, with john deer saying customers shouldn't be able to fix the tractor and that you dont "own" the software. Now folks mod brand new tractors with Ukrainian software just so they can change their own oil.

It also carries huge implications in teh electronics market where apple and other electronics manufactures would prefer you not to able to get parts and would then be forced to send items to their repair centers because right to repair also centers on them HAVING to make parts accessible.

I first heard about it back in 2004 when I started working in a commercial shop. While I'm definitely against it, it makes sense. Dealers make a slew of money off repairs. And I'm sure they'll make the case that its for our safety. I'll just keep driving my junk until they quit making gasoline.

Yep, heard of it. Just another reason for me to continue driving my old stuff. Besides in most cases I prefer it. Unfortunately parts are becoming harder to find for some of them

I got in the repair business in 1986, the manufacturers shared info freely until computerization became more prevalent and complicated. They realized how much of the repair market they were losing out on and losing to us independents, so instead of fixing their broke inherently corrupt system, they tried to lock us out of repair info. That didnt work as the feds got involved and ruled they must share info at some point past new model years, so now they use other means to make it financially unfeasible for independents to access certain technology.

I can flash and re-learn all makes and models of cars computers, most domestic and Japanese builds cost $25-$45 per vehicle, sometimes its that price for 3 days of access. BMW, and most Europeans cost a grand or more per year. If you dont do a bunch of them you lose money. Most diagnostic info systems, Mitchell All-Data ets..., are at least several hundred a month for access. Now the car companies are limiting what is released so those companies have less and less to offer us. We are fighting it, but its a slow process.

I see the day in the not too distant future where it will just be too expensive for the independent to do much more than the most basic serve to a vehicle. The average owner will be completely unable as well.

You pay hard earned dollars for equipment, IMHO, you have every right to service it yourself, and "propietary software license" has nothing to do with anything other than being an unethical profit scheme.

This scam is really no different than the manufacturer branded oil / warranty voiding controversy of 25+ years ago. The courts ruled that a manufacturer cannot void your warranty for using a different brand of oil.

I bought a compact tractor in 2019. While I would have liked 35 to 40hp, I purposely picked a model with 25hp, with the bare minimum emissions controls and electronics, to avoid being at the mercy of dealers. I just work a bit slower on bigger jobs to make up for the lack of hp. But it's silly for consumers to have to even consider such things in their purchase decisions.

You pay hard earned dollars for equipment, IMHO, you have every right to service it yourself, and "propietary software license" has nothing to do with anything other than being an unethical profit scheme.

This scam is really no different than the manufacturer branded oil / warranty voiding controversy of 25+ years ago. The courts ruled that a manufacturer cannot void your warranty for using a different brand of oil.

I bought a compact tractor in 2019. While I would have liked 35 to 40hp, I purposely picked a model with 25hp, with the bare minimum emissions controls and electronics, to avoid being at the mercy of dealers. I just work a bit slower on bigger jobs to make up for the lack of hp. But it's silly for consumers to have to even consider such things in their purchase decisions.
That was actually 46 years ago. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

I am definitely against it. i Just wish the auto makers would stop making Jelly Bean cars,,,,,,,,,,, the gazillion cars they make that no matter what brand they are, they all look the same. Just a different color, like a big bag of jelly beans

You need to write your congressman. The shape of all cars is dictated by the government. New rules for running over pedestrians mean you will see a flat front end on most stuff. The NHTSA and government have more to say about cars than the customers.

Back
Top Bottom