• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AT&T fixed wireless internet?

GFB

Default rank 5000+ posts
. . .
24   0
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this service? It's marketed, I gather, as an alternative to satellite internet and it's only available in certain areas. Internet service is provided via hardware on a cell tower rather than through a satellite. Download speeds are supposedly 10-25 Mbps, low to high, and the monthly data cap is 250 GB. Compared to satellite, this seems like a superior service for half the price. I'd appreciate to hear from anyone who has some experience with the AT&T option.

We use fixed wireless for our clients all over the world. Fixed wireless is far superior to satellite and DSL. It’s superior to coax as well since speeds are asynchronous.

Reactions: GFB
They're probably going to sell you a "MiFi" device. It's got a sim card inside and it's only good for data.
Generally if all you're doing is checking email and websites, the 250gb monthly cap should be fine.
You should consider getting into your browsers settings and telling it ask before downloading videos.
The speed depends on a lot of things. It will depend on how many devices are being served by the cell and how hard they're hitting it.
If you can get data on your cell phone, you should be able to get data on the MiFi.

I don’t really know what we have. My wife set it it up. It is through att and we have wifi. They mounted a dish in the roof. So far so good. No complaints from me.

They're probably going to sell you a "MiFi" device. It's got a sim card inside and it's only good for data.
Generally if all you're doing is checking email and websites, the 250gb monthly cap should be fine.
You should consider getting into your browsers settings and telling it ask before downloading videos.
The speed depends on a lot of things. It will depend on how many devices are being served by the cell and how hard they're hitting it.
If you can get data on your cell phone, you should be able to get data on the MiFi.

My cap with satellite is 150 GB per month and that's because I am grandfathered in to their old rates. New users get a lower cap, I believe. So 250 GB would be a huge improvement. I assume AT&T is using LTE on an off frequency band for this stuff, but it's only a guess. I currently lose signal pretty often if it's raining and I think that would be another area of improvement. I live in a low density population area. Supposedly, even with peak planned usage, I should be able to get 10 Mbps download speeds. Satellite regularly drops down to 2 Mbps until I reset the router and it's been especially bad with so many people staying home.

Back
Top Bottom