• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Astrophotography

Attachments

• 7E668AC6-1433-444C-89A5-BAFFD6F20285.jpeg
    7E668AC6-1433-444C-89A5-BAFFD6F20285.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 93
No, bi-color H-O-O describes the source of the signal and how it is assigned. H is for emission from Hydrogen Alpha and O is Oxygen III.
Color is assigned in RGB: Red- H-Alpha, Green- Oxygen III, Blue- Oxygen III
H-Alpha makes up the vast majority of emission nebula, so it is the strongest signal. The nebula would have a slight red tint to the human eye. My camera normally takes full color pictures using UV/IR cut filter that will capture visible color and H-Alpha with OIII to bring out detail in nebulosity. With a full moon out, it would have washed out a full color pic with noise, so the duo-narrowband filter only "sees" H-Alpha and OIII and makes a cleaner image, albeit using only two "false" color sources.

Can you explain that a bit more? I'm guessing the photo is not what the naked eye would see if you were out there in space, away from any sort of pollution or obstruction.

This is a pretty good example of what actual color should look like, the Cygnus Wall area is just off frame in the lower left, but it is all part of the North American / Pelican Nebula.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/stjgkx/0/

No, bi-color H-O-O describes the source of the signal and how it is assigned. H is for emission from Hydrogen Alpha and O is Oxygen III.
Color is assigned in RGB: Red- H-Alpha, Green- Oxygen III, Blue- Oxygen III
H-Alpha makes up the vast majority of emission nebula, so it is the strongest signal. The nebula would have a slight red tint to the human eye. My camera normally takes full color pictures using UV/IR cut filter that will capture visible color and H-Alpha with OIII to bring out detail in nebulosity. With a full moon out, it would have washed out a full color pic with noise, so the duo-narrowband filter only "sees" H-Alpha and OIII and makes a cleaner image, albeit using only two "false" color sources.
I have no idea what you just said but it's cool nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom