• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Astra A75L 9mm

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score
PROS-

Extremely reliable- This was my first CCW and I have had it for almost 6 years now. I have put over 4000rds of FMJs, HPs, +p loads and cheap surplus ammo through it. I have used crappy wolf ammo, dropped rounds in the dirt and picked them up again (before I knew better, not intentionally) and it has never ever jammed. Ever. Most subcompact pistols never see 1000rds their entire life. My Astra eats whatever I feed it and never complains.

Easy to carry- The A75L is a single stack aluminum frame subcompact (8+1 capacity in 9mm) that is roughly the same size as a S&W Chiefs Special. It is very comfortable to carry inside the waistband on my right hip. I can conceal it easily with shorts and a T-shirt.

Well made- For being a 20yr old pistol it is still in very good shape considering the abuse that it has suffered over the years. The slide still rides very tight on the frame rails, the trigger and hammer mechanisms have no slop in them and the magazine spring still has plenty of tension behind it. This is a very solid little weapon.

Inexpensive- I paid $250 for my Astra from a guy I used to work with. They seem to be a bit rare but you can still find them at gun shows and pawn shops and occasionally one will show up on the S&S. I have never seen an Astra go for more than $350.

Good shooter- The single/double action trigger is a bit stiff on the double action but it is very smooth and has a clean break. On single action it is very light and crisp. I have big hands and the A75L is one of the most comfortable subcompacts that I have ever shot. It doesnt beat up my palms or become uncomfortable to shoot after 30rds like a lot of subcompacts do. Accuracy is just as good as any Glock 26 or 27 and like all subcompacts it is generally far more accurate than the person holding it is.

CONS-

Hard to find- Astras have not been imported into the US for some time now and many people have never even heard of them. I have been on the lookout for an A75 in .40sw for years now and I have only seen 1 at a gun shop that someone else was already filling out the paperwork on. Thankfully I have never needed parts for mine however I imagine finding parts would be just as hard. Many gun dealers dont even know much about them. They are out there though and as I mentioned earlier, they are fairly inexpensive.

Bad Reputation- Astras are commonly lumped into the same class as Llama and Star pistols in the minds of many people. This reputation is undeserved though because I have never heard of anyone having problems with their Astra. I would much rather have a 20yr old Astra than ANY brand new Taurus.

Conclusion-
Overall I absolutely love my Astra. That pistol has more sentimental value to me than any other firearm I have ever owned. It is the one gun that I know I will have for the rest of my life. I still carry it on a regular basis and I know that no matter what the situation, when I pull the trigger my little Astra is going to go bang. If any of you guys ever see one for sale, do not hesitate to pick one up. You will not be disappointed!

Im still on the lookout for an A75 in .40s&w. If I come across another one I will snatch it up in a heartbeat. Anyone know where to get extra Astra magazines?

I have a A70 in .40 that I bought many years ago.Great pistol,very accurate.Its my main carry pistol. Mags are getting a bit expensive when I can find them. If buy 1 more mag I'll have more in the extra 3 mags than I do the pistol.

Astra has been around for over a hundred years, they have changed hands, Astra-Star, and both went out of business. The guns I have had a chance to play with seem like great buys for the dollar and were reliable shooters. In 2008 a Swiss company bought rights to Astra. I have several Astra-Star Firestar pistols that are great little guns and I think they look sharp too. I'll have to pull them out and post a report. $250 for a reliable semi-auto pistol is more than fair IMO. If I see an Astra A75 in .40 S&W I post you a PM if you keep the squidbilly avatar.

HEY!
i56.tinypic.com_n2fr41.jpg

Looky here http://www.gunsamerica.com/933056607/Guns/Pistols/Astra-Pistols/Astra_EAA.htm

traded my son for the A75 I like it so much I might just keep it for awhile. BTW EAA has the current rights to the gun. Parts are available with a Google search.

The A75 is a bit hefty. The A75L has an alloy frame and is much lighter although they are even harder to come by.

Back
Top Bottom