• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Assemble a collection of movies to represent WW2

Von Ryan's Express - Allied prisoners in Italy.

Bridge on the River Kwai - Allied prisoners in Pacific. While the story isn't technically accurate, still a great movie.

Always liked that movie, but it's so very Hollywood, based on star power alone. The classic case of "how many big acting names can we cram into one cast to sell tickets." And that battle itself isn't really representative of typical grind-it-out combat clashes taking place in Europe; don't feel like it tells a tale that can be extrapolated to much of the rest of the war in that theater.
It was a good movie. For me, however, didn't really illustrate just exactly how much of a headling-grabbing, opportunist and self-promoter Montgomery really was....

What about Run Silent, Run Deep? Not a bad movie...

You gotta add Battle of the River Plate (1956). Great one I love to watch, with some good insight on British vs German ship to ship naval action. Sure one of the British ships is missing her turrets (since by '56 it was a training ship) but overall it's good.

Unbroken
Bridge over the River Kwai (total fiction but a great movie)
In the not too recent past I remember watching some investigative documentary about that....turns out, IIRC, the bridge was not so big, not where the movie portrayed and seemed a little bit blown-up for a movie's sake....

King Rat is a good one for prisoners in Pacific.

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. Yeah some Hollywood fluff, but a lot of nice B-25 scenes.

Dirty Dozen...?

King Rat is a good one for prisoners in Pacific.

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. Yeah some Hollywood fluff, but a lot of nice B-25 scenes.
Wow! I was just thinking about King Rat......The point of the whole movie, and the protagonist's goals, was to make the prisoners hate someone more than they hated the Japanese - something to live for....

Back
Top Bottom