• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Armor Piercing" 338 Lapua

18 U.S. Code § 922

You're welcome.

Law doesn't apply to .50 BMG

I understand the "ammunition" part of the law. What I do not see is a reference to turning a solid projectile from bar stock. I don't think it's illegal until you make it into a cartridge, is it? Did I miss that?

I understand the "ammunition" part of the law. What I do not see is a reference to turning a solid projectile from bar stock. I don't think it's illegal until you make it into a cartridge, is it? yes, it is illegal to make just the bullet, Doesn't have to be loaded into anything, Did I miss that? Not really, different statute,

18 U.S. Code § 921 - Definitions (17)(B)

sorry nothing illegal about turned solids.... Barnes still makes their turned banded solids, just not in .338 as its not considered a dangerous game caliber..... really not even considered a big bore caliber. look around lots of companies make turned solids.... they are mostly small companies that cater to big game hunters and we don't normally use very many... besides the abuse a light weight big bore does to the body isn't nice, combined with the very high ammo costs try $50. a shot.... boxes of solids get handed down from one hunter to another...... got a box of .577 solids sitting in front of me, last owner only used 10 of the fifty, mine for the price of postage. anyway contact any of the makers am sure they will make them from turned bronze for you.

18 U.S. Code § 921 - Definitions (17)(B)

Still not convinced it's illegal to make a turned bullet for use in a rifle as the OP queried. Handguns we all know. Is there a .338 Lapua handgun yet? I know it's retarded, that's why I assume some dumbass has made one.

Is there a .338 Lapua handgun yet?

Doesn't have to be a .338 Lapua Handgun, just a .338 handgun, http://americanhandgunner.com/exclusive-web-extra-popular-338s-in-handguns/

Note that BATF had a proposal to exempt ammo that could only be fired in single shot pistols, but it was part of a package of "interpretations" by BATF, and the entire package got shot down because the AR-15 folks got their panties in a wad, BATF was willing to admit that the statutory language "which may be used in a handgun" over broad.

Cutting edge makes lathe turned solids from .224 on up to .50. It has no penetrater thereby probably gets a pass by the atf.

Their bullets are copper, and do not come under the statutory definition of "armor piercing ammunition".

Read the definition of "armor piercing ammunition", which only includes certain materials or methods.

It turns out that Lehigh Defense now makes the Bore Tech bullet I was looking for. It's 245 grains, made from solid bar stock and is not a hollow point. BINGO!

Back
Top Bottom