• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Armor Piercing" 338 Lapua

I just remembered that BoreTech used to make a machined solid copper 245 grain bullet in 338, but they aren't showing it on their website anymore. I just emailed them and am hoping they can tell me where to find it.

When it comes to penetrating steel, or deeply cratering it (medium hardness construction grade steel, I mean, not AR500), I've found that velocity beats mass, and bullet shape or configuration doesn't matter.

Except when you're dealing with real AP ammo, which has a hardened steel core. Tool steel, not mild steel. That inner penetrating core, being slim but long and sharply pointed, zips through all but the toughest steel.

Solid copper bullets will not be even in the same ballpark as real armor-piercing rifle ammo, but they should do better than lead bullets. It helps that copper is less dense than lead, so these "lighter" bullets can be driven at higher velocities.

Interesting! Do you have the name of a couple?

Might have some turned from bronze rod stock? We've seen impressive results on armor plate from Barnes solid copper bulltes at high velocities.

BATF will not be amused.

There are some thoughts I don't even try to think.

Please quote the section of U.S. Code that prohibits a person from turning bullets from stock. Many 50 BMG shooters will be keenly interested.
I think there may be some fine line. I'm aware of solid turned bullets that are perfectly legal, but at the same time they went after Barnes for doing what seems to be exactly that, so... :noidea:

Back
Top Bottom