• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Armor Piercing" 338 Lapua

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I know there are no actual armor piercing bullets available for the 338 in the US, but I'm looking to develop a load that is as close as I can get. There seem to be two schools of thought about this. Use of a very light for caliber, but reasonably sturdy, bullet at extremely high velocity, like a sub 200 grain Barnes or Cutting Edge, or use of a normal for caliber weight bullet that is FMJ.

Has anyone messed around with this type of thing and, if you have, what was your results.

Swift A Frame bullet might work also thats a pretty tough bullet
Yes they are, but what I'm really looking for is a bullet that is designed not to expand at all. Barnes used to make a line of Spitzer design banded solids, but the AFT said they were armor piercing and they had to stop manufacture of several calibers of them, including the 338.

I wish someone made a 160 to 185 grain FMJ in 338 caliber. That would probably be the closest thing I could legally get for the best penetration.

Might have some turned from bronze rod stock? We've seen impressive results on armor plate from Barnes solid copper bulltes at high velocities.

Back
Top Bottom