• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any Yamaha Vmax motorcycle owners on ODT

I road a vmax a few times that a friend owned back in the early 90’s. It was fun but dangerous. The tires at the time would break loose on smooth pavement when it hit a surge of power as the rpms climbed in any gear. It would step out and come back in line if you smoothly rolled off the power. If you chopped the power it would take a couple of twitchy moves that gave me that funny feeling like my knees are weak. Thirty years of tire technology may have resolved most of those issues but I am too old to find out.

The front end of the Vmax's in the 80's and up to about 93' were notorious for the death wobble. Many people have successfully converted the front ends with that of a R1 or GSXR1000 which remedied that problem. Front fork seal upgrades have been made to help as well. Either way... Still on the hunt for one.

Didn't they tend to knock out 2nd gear ?

Second gear was an issue with the Vmax from 1985-1993. After that things got a lot better. You could always send those year models off to a good builder and have the gears undercut so that second gear wouldn't be an issue any longer.

27A71041-41E2-4A59-82D4-9D09A9A47C51.jpeg
With the falling prices of used Gen 2’s, it would be worthwhile to give them a look. I’ve had mine 5 years and it’s the most fun I’ve had on two wheels.

I have a friend who has one. The last time I talked to him he had not ridden it in a while. It's like everything else he owns well kept. I may give him a call and see if he still has it.

View attachment 2158735 With the falling prices of used Gen 2’s, it would be worthwhile to give them a look. I’ve had mine 5 years and it’s the most fun I’ve had on two wheels.

I'll most likely purchase a Gen 2 as well. I just have this 1500CC built motor sitting around for a Gen 1. Love your Gen 2! Let me know if you ever decide to part ways with it.

Just curious to see if there are any Gen 1 or Gen 2 Yamaha Vmax motorcycle owners here on ODT? I've been contemplating the purchase of a Gen1 Vmax as of recently. I love these neckbreakers! If anyone would like to chime in on their ownership experience I would be interested. Additionally if anyone has one that they'd like to get rid of or trade something for please let me know. Ride safe ODT peeps!

A buddy had one back in the day (late 80’s- early 90’s?) .... they were a blast to ride. The power band in them is a kick! I rode his a few times...we would go ride and swap bikes for a while. It is a fun way to ride diff machines. :)

If I just find one local that needed some tender loving care I would jump all over it. Living in Virginia everything worth anything is a million miles away. I will keep looking and I am bound to run into one at some point. It will make for a nice little project and be cheaper than doing a whole car.

Back
Top Bottom