• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any cheap gas grills that aren't....

I own the bottom line Huntington gas grill that Home Depots sells for $129. I bought it because it was cheap but had lasting features in the cast aluminum body. The one mentioned by another poster was the same grill body but with more sheet metal below the aluminum body to dress it up and push the price tag to $199. I also have an inexpensive Char-Broil that I run as a smoker. I keep covers on both to protect the sheet metal parts which rusts easily. Since spending many hundreds of dollars over the last 30 years replacing grills, I have gone back to the cast aluminum models since the grill bodies never wear out and have lifetime warranties. The sheet metal parts, grill surfaces, and burners can be had from the mfg. cheaper than regular retail (have to contact customer service via email and buy through them).

I use my Huntington grill for burgers, steaks, and chops. An inverted "V" metal cover a.k.a. "Heat Tent" sits over the burner and any drippings that aren't burned collect in a soup can underneath just like the old Char-Broil of yesteryear. Cold spots are around the edges as expected but the center area cooks very well. The grill area will cook 12 frozen burgers which is plenty of area for my needs. In March 2018, I needed to replace the heat tent and bought 3 from the mfg. for $4.20 each plus $10.00 shipping. They were sold out in Tenn., so they shipped directly from Canada.
On the difference on the models the $199 model is larger with 400 sq inches of cooking space while the $129 model is only 240 sq inches. it isn’t just a painted piece of sheet metal that made me pay more I wanted the extra grilling space which makes it more versatile to me. Good idea on buying the parts direct I’ll have to look into that when it is time for mine to be redone.

I bit the bullet and bought a Weber grill, small 2 burner . Lowe’s put it together and gave me a 10% vet discount

Come on man. The Grates would cost as much as the entire grill! You did see the word "cheap" in the thread title right? ;)
I promise you, this thing WILL sear a steak. Now it might also melt the body of the thing but since we almost never cook steak, I don't intend to test that theory. :cool:

Yeah, ok. They stepped up my kind cheap grill, and i think they'll last longer thana cheap grill. But they aren't cheap, that isa fact

We made the leap last night. Sold my giant charcoal smoker last month and decided we wanted to grill out this weekend. Next day delivery from Home Depot and 1,200 reviews at 5 stars. Got a color to match the wife’s patio decor and it’s ready to go. We can also take it camping with a green propane tank.
AF425E88-1872-4477-AF78-974110D5FD0F.jpeg
71F3C23C-BE81-4D61-B7F7-0B6F6518ED16.png
5A26FEAE-C39A-42C5-A2C4-F776E0F9529B.jpeg

Attachments

• 46C62CE2-C2E6-4F99-845F-153EBDAE42DD.jpeg
    46C62CE2-C2E6-4F99-845F-153EBDAE42DD.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 5
There is a bunch of grills on the market which worth your attention, for example, there is a budget option: there are two burners inside, each of which offers 10,000 BTUs and has its own push-and-turn ignition for independent use. This gives you multiple heating options. There is a long hose attachment for the 20-pound tank, so it won’t be right up against the grill itself.

Back
Top Bottom