• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any cheap gas grills that aren't....

You should definitely buy the Grill Grates for whatever gas grill you buy. Evens out the heat and increases temp. None of the gas grills get really hot, unless they have the brazier burner (or whatever it's called). They cannot properly sear a steak. It's pathetic, because it's a liability fear, like crappy triggers on all modern guns.

The Grill Grates help a lot.

You should definitely buy the Grill Grates for whatever gas grill you buy. Evens out the heat and increases temp. None of the gas grills get really hot, unless they have the brazier burner (or whatever it's called). They cannot properly sear a steak. It's pathetic, because it's a liability fear, like crappy triggers on all modern guns.

The Grill Grates help a lot.
Come on man. The Grates would cost as much as the entire grill! You did see the word "cheap" in the thread title right? ;)
I promise you, this thing WILL sear a steak. Now it might also melt the body of the thing but since we almost never cook steak, I don't intend to test that theory. :cool:

Charbroil is still based in Columbus, Ga where they used to operate an aluminum "foundry" where they cast the halves of each grill. I toured that plant back in the mid-1980's before they moved operations overseas and cheapened the product using sheet metal. Several years ago, I found a US mfg. in Tennessee that still casts the grill halves in aluminum and found their product on a closeout at Lowe's. Back then it was $119. Home Depot sells it for $129, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hunting...Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-24025HNT/206087916

I buy my spare parts directly from the mfg. and save quite a bit than buying anywhere else. They operate their foundry in Canada now but still have a parts operation in Tennessee. http://huntingtonbbq.com/index.html

Charbroil is still based in Columbus, Ga where they used to operate an aluminum "foundry" where they cast the halves of each grill. I toured that plant back in the mid-1980's before they moved operations overseas and cheapened the product using sheet metal. Several years ago, I found a US mfg. in Tennessee that still casts the grill halves in aluminum and found their product on a closeout at Lowe's. Back then it was $119. Home Depot sells it for $129, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hunting...Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-24025HNT/206087916

I buy my spare parts directly from the mfg. and save quite a bit than buying anywhere else.
Somebody mentioned that one earlier in the thread. Hopefully I won't regret not going that route. If I do in a year or two, that's the benefit of 'cheap'. :)

I buy my spare parts directly from the mfg. and save quite a bit than buying anywhere else.

Is that the one you have? How do you like it?

I have the char griller duo that does propane or charcoal. Don't put on the warmig racks, they rust fast even with a cover and end up dropping iron filings on your food. The flame guards rust quick too, but there is a fair amount of aftermarket parts for these on Amazon.
l bought mine about 4 years ago and it has been a good grill until this last weekend. I was cooking plank salmon with the propane side and left it unattended for 3 minutes. The plank flared and caught fire, when I came back out the paint was peeling, I burnt my hand with the cover handle, and the 3rd burner got so hot it melted and I couldn't shut off the gas. I had to turn it off and the tank, which, shocker burnt me as well.

For the most part been happy with it, probably my fault for walking off at the beginning. The thermometer is also crappy, mine stopped reading right a few years ago.
So what you are saying is that it worked great until it almost burned down your house?

Somebody mentioned that one earlier in the thread. Hopefully I won't regret not going that route. If I do in a year or two, that's the benefit of 'cheap'. :)

Is that the one you have? How do you like it?

I own the bottom line Huntington gas grill that Home Depots sells for $129. I bought it because it was cheap but had lasting features in the cast aluminum body. The one mentioned by another poster was the same grill body but with more sheet metal below the aluminum body to dress it up and push the price tag to $199. I also have an inexpensive Char-Broil that I run as a smoker. I keep covers on both to protect the sheet metal parts which rusts easily. Since spending many hundreds of dollars over the last 30 years replacing grills, I have gone back to the cast aluminum models since the grill bodies never wear out and have lifetime warranties. The sheet metal parts, grill surfaces, and burners can be had from the mfg. cheaper than regular retail (have to contact customer service via email and buy through them).

I use my Huntington grill for burgers, steaks, and chops. An inverted "V" metal cover a.k.a. "Heat Tent" sits over the burner and any drippings that aren't burned collect in a soup can underneath just like the old Char-Broil of yesteryear. Cold spots are around the edges as expected but the center area cooks very well. The grill area will cook 12 frozen burgers which is plenty of area for my needs. In March 2018, I needed to replace the heat tent and bought 3 from the mfg. for $4.20 each plus $10.00 shipping. They were sold out in Tenn., so they shipped directly from Canada.

Back
Top Bottom