• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any cheap gas grills that aren't....

Look into firemagic or summerset (little cheaper). If you find one you like I can same you some money on those most of the time.

7C00CF23-00FA-43DF-9B22-C81094B114BF.jpeg

I have the KitchenAid 2 burner on your list.

Does a great job for my family of 4. Holds at least 8 Costco burger patties at a time, does acceptable job on steaks.

Ordered a NAT GAS converter for it, gas valve, and 2 orifices.

It does need a grease shelf under the burners.

Not too big, not too small.

In my opinion, the short answer is no. They all suck until you get into the $400+ range. Even then, they're lifespan is relatively limited. I would either buy a Weber kettle grill and charcoal chimney or follow the advice from Falcon1 Falcon1 . Those appear to be the best made sub $300 grills available.

With new outdoor gas grills you either buy a cheaper one you need to replace in 5 years (or less) or a more expensive one you need to replace in 10(or less). Works out the same dollar wise. And none of them are all that great imo. You can season the grate carefully using a high heat oil like peanut oil every so often. Thatll make it last a little better. Use a toothpick or dental pick to clean the gas holes every so often. That helps with hot spots. Also make sure the gas is full open, wait 10 seconds for all lines to fill then open burners and light. Thats some of my trial and error trying to keep an outdoor grill working right over time. A good cover is also worthwhile. I buy the relatively cheaper ones and do all that. Charcoal/wood is a different story. It's either a large Weber or spend the coin for a green egg. Hope that helps.

.... worth throwing away?

So frustrating. I had an old (2 burner Char Broil I think) that was the old black, cast iron look alike, that literally lasted over 15 years. I should have simply replaced the guts and kept it but I thought I 'needed' a new one. Made the mistake of buying a new 4 burner stainless Char Broil 2 or 3 years ago and it's a complete piece of garbage (and was since day one). Hot spots galore and pathetic heat retention. At the moment it's the opposite problem and barely puts out anything. I'm done with it.
We are NOT big grillers. Just burgers, dogs, chicken, occasionally fish. Seriously can't remember the last time we grilled a steak. Just want something that will heat evenly and last (I always keep them covered) a reasonable amount of time.
I know what you mean. About 10 years ago, I threw out my last "quality" gas grill and just gave up on them. Bought a Bubba Keg (think steel version of Big Green Egg) and haven't looked back. I know, lump charcoal is not as convenient as instant-on gas...but neither is throwing away a gas grill every 5-10 years. And I can be ready to cook in 20 minutes. Took that long to get my old gas grills up to temp and ready to cook. And the flavor...forgot how much I missed that charcoal flavor...

Of course, an old Weber Kettle grill is much cheaper and will cook pretty much as well, but I always had to wait a long time for the briquettes to turn white and it was harder to regulate the temp.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I realize "cheap" doesn't mean the same thing to everybody and this thread illustrates that.
Here's my scale.
If it has a comma in the price... yeah... no where on the radar.
If it cost as much or more than an ODT priced Glock. Still not interested, though I'm sure it makes 'sense'. We just don't use it enough for that.
If it's Hi Point money, I'm probably going to be suspicious, but hey, I'm not proud...
So, somewhere between a Hi Point and a Glock is where I'm assuming something above throw away could be found. Might be wishful thinking.

Back
Top Bottom