• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15 to 9mm questions

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
I've got some spare AR15 parts hanging around: Stripped upper and lower receivers, lower parts kit, handguard, stock. I've never assembled an AR15 in anything other than 5.56, and I think I'd like to have an AR platform in 9mm.

Any thoughts on such a build? Can they be reliable if assembled correctly? Any advice and comments appreciated.

I've got some spare AR15 parts hanging around: Stripped upper and lower receivers, lower parts kit, handguard, stock. I've never assembled an AR15 in anything other than 5.56, and I think I'd like to have an AR platform in 9mm.

Any thoughts on such a build? Can they be reliable if assembled correctly? Any advice and comments appreciated.

Don't skimp on the bolt/barrel and use a proper weight/length bolt/spring and you should be good. Most blowback bolts need a standard hammer, so milspec is usually better in that regards. I've had no issues with a Kaw Valley bolt, barrel and buffer.

What about magazine setup? Insert or modified mags?

I went with a Stern insert because I had a pile of M&P mags and I wanted LRBHO. I've had no issues, it's been very reliable. The M&P one they sell now does both M&P and Sig P320 mags. The also make them for Glock and Beretta 92 mags.

If you have a pile of Glock mags, I'd go with one of the many Glock inserts out there. The Mean Arms conversions are an option. They have good reviews, but I thought the feed lips were a bit soft and would not wear well when I handled a couple at a shoot. Someone that has them will need to weigh in on that.

I did a Colt SMG build a while ago and haven't had any issues.

Used a Hahn precision insert to use Colt mags. Magazines are from Metalform. For the buffer I used this 9mm kit from Angstadt. BCG was from Toolcraft. Trigger was a standard mil-spec trigger.
lc931uqku0r61.jpg

Back
Top Bottom