• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15 Lower receiver assembly guide

Awesome write-up! I don't install LPKs on a regular basis, so I always forget which way the hammer spring goes on. I usually google for a pic when I'm doing a build. Now I've got this guide to go by with plenty of pics!

Thanks!

Great job. I might add you cannot overstate the importance of a professional quality vice to hold the lower receiver rock solid while installing parts. I use an old Pmag clamped into the vice - it holds more solid than a vice block. Also, the Magpul Castle Nut Wrench makes that job a lot easier, but expensive ($80). The cheap ones can easily mar the nut or buffer tube.

Great job. I might add you cannot overstate the importance of a professional quality vice to hold the lower receiver rock solid while installing parts. I use an old Pmag clamped into the vice - it holds more solid than a vice block. Also, the Magpul Castle Nut Wrench makes that job a lot easier, but expensive ($80). The cheap ones can easily mar the nut or buffer tube.
Using old mags for a receiver block only works well when a mag catch/button is in the lower. The PSA block is actually very sturdy.

ETA: I forgot to mention that the shoulder on a proper vice block will also protect the receiver when placing it in the vice. You would need to use caution using a magazine as you could possibly scratch or gouge your lower on the bench vice if the mag slips in the vice jaws.

Yes, a solid work surface and vice are always recommended.

As to the Magpul tool, it's over priced. The Tapco wrench I use is solid and I modified to to accept 1/4 drive so I can use my inch lb torque wrench without a 1/4 to 3/8 or 1/4 to 1/2 adapter. It's also compact so I can easily take it with me to the range.

Back
Top Bottom