• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15 barrel recomendations

96   0
Reaction score
I am building another rifle. I want to put an 18"-20" tube on it. I am looking for a premium barrel. Looked at compass lake for a bartlein barrel, lead time is 5-8weeks. same with several other premium barrels. What is the skinny on Proof? about the same cost for a finished bartlein barrel. Are barrels like Faxon in the same league? Looking to wring out as much accuracy as I can shoot. Wil probably shoot it suppressed as well. thanks all.

Faxon is trash....

Centurion Mk12 would fit your needs exactly. Monty uses Bartlein blanks for those and if you choose the pinned option, his new micro gas block will fit until just about any rail. Not only that, but he now uses an index notch so they remain perfectly aligned. Even though there are other options, you will be hard pressed to find a barrel with th Centurion performance withing this length/profile. He also optimizes the chamber for MK262, which is very consistent and realible offering from Black Hills, Magtech (they are phasing it out though, and Defender). I personally watched this barrel shoot consistently sub .6 MOA with the Magtech MK262. Excellent barrel.

https://www.centurionarms.com/mk12-barrel-p/mk12-pn-mk12b.htm

Proof makes outstanding barrels. Bartlein is the most represented in the PRS but Proof is 2nd and had as many top 10 wins in 2019 with their stainless steel barrels. Hawk Hill, Lilja and Krieger are also excellent and proven.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The best barrels I've ever used include Lilja, BSM, and on the less expensive side BHW now called Columbia River Arms and McGowen.

The BSF is a trussed carbon fiber barrel that cools better or should I say doesn't seem to get hot enough to start stringing yhe bullets. I used a BSF barrel in an AR10 6.5cm build for my dad and it will shoot pretty consistent in the. 5moa and sometimes under range. https://www.bsfbarrels.com/
They look pretty cool too.

If you aren't interested in spending 500 plus on a BSF, then I've had excellent results with black hole weaponry / Columbia River arms. They have a 30% off sale right now bringing the price down to just over 200 bucks, a bit more for certain options. They are a little slow making barrels but I have several VERY accurate barrels from them and they are easy to clean with 5R rifling. https://columbiariverarms.com/
They have a sister company that they sell already done barrels on, the link is on the website to TrueSport or something like that.

I've also never got a bad barrel from McGowen and one of my McGowen barrels out shoots my brux.

Those are the barrels I've seen hit the. 5moa and better out of a gun I've built, but there are many others out there. Milage can vary. Good luck with your build.

I have no personal experience with them yet but when I inquired about a barrel recommendation to pair with their MK11 7.62 billet receiver set, Centurion Arms suggested Criterion. Now whether that carries over to their .223/5.56 offerings I do not know.

Back
Top Bottom