• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR in 22

I'm wanting to make a AR pistol in 22. I have a 12.5 inch barrel in 223. I know they sell conversion kits for a standard AR to run 22 in it. Would I be better off buying a 22 barrel? Do they make a dedicated lower or is it different mags that are used on the standard lower?

This will only be for playing around with

Thanks

Dedicated non conversion barrel with the collar built-in is going to give the best results (it takes the short barrel that goes into the chamber out of the equation).

Standard lower, but I do suggest a "pressure plug" that goes in front of the buffer. Mine is delrin plastic, but you can make one out of a dowel. That helps ensure that the bolt assembly is push forward completely for more consistent operation.

For mags, decide if you want to go AR-22 (Ciener/Atchisson) style) or M&P style mags. You can find both everywhere. Black Dog Machine makes very reliable AR-22 mags. There are others (Colt, HK, Beretta), but they cost more and are less common.
http://blackdogmachinellc.net/AR15.22PRODUCTS.aspx

i clicked through and it does say out of stock on the last page. Apologies man.......

No worries. That seems to be the case everywhere that i look. But that one is on ODT for sale. I searched through the accessories yesterday and didn't see any but apparently its been there a while. I was hopping for a 12" ish barrel so I'm thinking about it though

No worries. That seems to be the case everywhere that i look. But that one is on ODT for sale. I searched through the accessories yesterday and didn't see any but apparently its been there a while. I was hopping for a 12" ish barrel so I'm thinking about it though

The twist rate will be a bit fast, but you could start with a conversion kit and the barrel you have. You can swap out the conversion barrel collar for a standard collar later when you get a proper 22lr barrel.

I've never used them, but have heard good things about RTB.
https://www.righttobear.com/22LR-AR15-M4-Barrels-s/1907.htm

Back
Top Bottom