• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR builders’ tools

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Upper receiver tools:

-Geissele Reaction Rod: great for installing rails, gas blocks, and other items where you want the ability to “spin” the upper and have access all around.

-Midwest Industries URR: gives better support to the upper receiver, great for installing stuff that you have to torque hard on to install or remove

-SLR dimpling jig: dimple the barrel for secure gas block installation. Also ensures that your gas block is aligned to the gas port

-Michiguns MOACKS tool. For properly staking the gas key on the bolt carrier. You’ll need it if you ever have to replace a gas key, or correct one that is improperly staked.

-Selection of crow foot wrenches. You’ll need a 3/4” for most muzzle devices, but they can come in all sizes

-Young Manufacturing AR15/M16 bolt ejector tool. For easy replacement of the ejector and/or ejector spring.

-Heat gun. Useful for thermal fitting barrels, and breaking apart stuck parts

Lower receiver tools:

-Geissele Reaction Block: a must have for properly installing castle nuts. Also, excellent for holding the lower receiver in various positions while working on it

-Mathew 5/32x4 1/2 punch. For staking castle nuts

-BCM KMR barrel nut wrench. Best tool I’ve used for installing castle nuts.

-Brownell’s AR15 pivot pin detent installation tool

-Glock 03374 disassembly takedown tool, use with pivot pin detent tool

-KNS Precision hammer cage

-Wheeler Engineering bolt catch installation tool kit

General tools:

-AR Armorer’s wrench: Tapco, Magpul, TruGlo, etc. Very useful if you’re dealing with the military barrel nut that goes with the retention system of the 2-piece handguards. Some companies, like Troy, also use that barrel nut on some of their rails.

-torque wrenches to do both inch and foot pounds. For foot pounds, something that will handle a range of 30-80 foot pounds will do. For inch pounds, a Wheeler FAT Wrench will work fine.

-Breaker bar, something around 18”. You’ll need it for breaking parts loose. Loosening stuff with a torque wrench can damage the wrench, so use this instead.

-AeroShell 64: milspec anti-seize for installing barrel nuts and castle nuts

-RockSett for secure attachment of muzzle devices that will be used with a suppressor

-A set of Allen and torx bits. I use the Brownell’s Magna-Tip set.

-a hammer with brass and hard nylon faces, for general smacking

-a solid ball peen hammer of some heft, for staking the castle nut

-bench vise

-nylon and rubber jaw sets to use in the vice and protect your parts

-set of quality steel punches

-Wheeler Engineering universal bench block, the round one

-Kroil or similar penetrating oil

What would be a general guess as to price of all of the upper and lower specialty tools?

You can go to a website like Brownell’s or Midway USA and look up the tools I listed.

The Geissele Reaction Rod and Block are pricey, but I use mine constantly.

Back
Top Bottom