• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR 9mm PISTOL

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I have been asked enough about this little project pistol to warrant it's posting.

i47.tinypic.com_1zv9vuh.jpg

The lower is a Spikes Tactical with the factory color fill but you can do it yourself (see Soviet's Sticky on color fill-http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/36969-Soviet-s-color-fill-video!!-How-to-color-fill-firearms!). You can purchase a 9mm hammer and forgo the "ramping" of the bolt. I did purchase the 9mm hammer but decided on a standard AR hammer with a pearl to pass on. The Rock River hammer has a notch and if you use their lower parts kit you will need to order a DPMS style hammer. The notch interferes with function and cocking properly thus rendering it a single shot pistol.

So I had spikes ramp my bolt and used the DPMS hammer. That way you can switch between 5.56/.223 and 9mm. I bought an ADCO 9mm heavy buffer. I picked up a Spike's 9mm pistol buffer too at a gun show for cheap and run that currently. The buffer tube is an ACE pistol buffer with their foam covering trimmed a bit. It feels nice when you press your cheek into it and I recommend it. ACE had a swivel mount single point sling mount that I purchased. It's ok but I would prefer something else.

I used the Rock River magwell block purchased through ADCO. The block fits from the bottom and can be adjusted with an allen wrench. Adjust it so the bolt drags a bit then back it down a hair so the bolt just clears it and you will be good to go. The magazines are C-Products and at one time Colt contracted with them and had their stamp on them. They are inexpensive and run great. I picked some Magpul magazine pulls .45/9mm cal. soft rubber loops for the magazines. The pistol grip is an ERGO ambi grip (it feels great in the hand).

The upper I was going to build but after adding all the parts up it was actually cheaper to have Spikes build it for me. The barrel is the standard chrome moly not the lothar expensive type. It is a 5 1/2" barrel threaded for 1/2-28" suppressor/flash hiders. This was done as to allow suppressor use on my dedicated AR-22 (.22LR) upper that has the standard 1/2-28" threaded flash suppressor. I have a Glock 17 Storm Lake barrel from Tennesse and a Beretta M92 barrel with the same threads. The hand guard is a Yankee Hill Machine diamond series light weight type that is 10" in length to protect the suppressor but still allow enough meat to remove the can without drama. This model fills the gap from the forearm top and the flat top upper.

The optic is a knock-off "fake point", a decent copy of Aim Point and works well with a 3 MOA dot. If I was looking right now I'd consider Primary arms due to value and cost. I have the Magpul BUS on it.

The can is a 9mm YHM Cobra II that is able to be disassembled. It has the booster that helps it function with Glocks but it should be removed and a spacer installed for fixed barrels. I hand load 124 grain FMJ's sub-sonic and sub sonic 147 grain lead cast bullets. This gun quietly eats them like skittles. The cast bullets cak the can up much faster and require more maintenance. Another pearl; ignore any reference to use anything but bearing grease for the can assembly/disassembly or you will have issues with disassembly.

It is not really cheap at right $1K plus the suppressor to build but it's a hoot to shoot!

The Good:

Ammo is easy on the wallet for sub-sonic reload 124-147 grain bullets.
Compact poor man’s MP5
Will surpass nearly every other pistol (tactical) in accuracy
Very quick follow up shots
No Tax Stamp!!!! (except for the suppressor- a fake can may be had cheaply)
Magazines reasonably cheap and easy to find
Fun as all get out to shoot-25 yard off-hand head shots is way easy
Runs like a scalded dog-rare failures (once correctly set up)

The Bad:
Nose to the charging handle-gases can blow back with suppressor use-reminiscent of a basic gas chamber experience.
Not cheap on the wallet to build
Jealous friends will hate you!
Loading magazines is a real PITA no thumb love (Cammenga 9mm loader!)

i47.tinypic.com_k0q3xu.jpg

i46.tinypic.com_205uq7b.jpg

i50.tinypic.com_a47x8p.jpg

i48.tinypic.com_34s4c50.jpg

i45.tinypic.com_11i0ikj.jpg

i48.tinypic.com_5fruo4.jpg

i49.tinypic.com_fela4g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice........... I saw an upper for sale in Columbus last week... almost hopped on it.

Already have AR pistol in 5.56 and 22LR. Waiting for my 5.45x39 barrel to be chopped and converted to pistol size. I guess after that I'll build a 9-ner.

Last edited:
That niner pistol is sick dude.:D

Finished my Pistol build today. Got a Spikes stipped lower from Cherokee Gun, LPK with pistol buffer from PSA. 7.5" J&T Distributers upper with flip up sights. (unknown brand)

100 rounds through it flawlessly at Big Woods Goods after I finished the lower build. First time building a lower.

I plan on Duracoating it FDE soon...

[Broken External Image]:

Any suggestions on Sling set ups? It has a Magpul ASAP rear sling attachment...nothing up front yet.

Last edited:
RamRoddoc, Been thinking about what to do with a completely stock Colt AR 9mm. The cheaper mags seem to be the weak link as block is pinned and non adjustable, but it may not need adjusting though, just better mags. I got one Pro mag 'cause it was cheap and I plan on chucking that thing. Got a 100rd Beta mag but I don't want to use that thing every time I pull it out of the safe. What mags can run reliably and where can I get them on the cheap?? (Relatively speaking)
Or is a Glock lower the way to go?? (I know it'd be dedicated 9mm but I think that's okay too, and that the bolt would need machining) Do the Colt's need adjusting or should it run fine, just with a better mag? I don't find a mag block that will run Glock mags.
Definitely love the build pics and the grips on both those pistols look like what I want to put on it. Hate the grip on it now. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom