• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ar-15 Pistol legality as a Truck Gun

J John Monroe

Calling John Monroe...

He's another lawyer, and he edited my Georgia weapons law booklet.
He actually had a client who was arrested for having a perfectly legal AK 47 style handgun in his car.
The cops thought it was a rifle that had the barrel replaced unlawfully short.

The armed motorist guy told the cops it was not a "short barreled rifle" or a modified rifle or carbine. He said that it was originally manufactured as a pistol and sold to him as such.

But the guy got arrested in anyway, and it took John as his lawyer quite a bit of effort to get them to drop the charges later.

J John Monroe

Calling John Monroe...

He actually had a client who was arrested for having a perfectly legal AK 47 style handgun in his car.

The armed motorist guy told the cops it was not a "short barreled rifle" or a modified rifle or carbine. He said that it was originally manufactured as a pistol and sold to him as such.

But the guy got arrested in anyway, and it took John as his lawyer quite a bit of effort to get them to drop the charges later.
Couldn’t get the man no money for his troubles?

J John Monroe

Calling John Monroe...

Was the guy white?....

J John Monroe

Calling John Monroe...

That's going to be the issue. An AR or AK pistol is certainly no problem legally. In fact because 'long guns' can run afoul of hunting regs, they might actually be better from a legal perspective.

That being said, cops aren't lawyers and lawyers aren't (usually) gun experts.

If a cop who didn't know that AR/AK pistols weren't SBRs ran across it you could end up in jail while it's sorted out. I'm not sure what kind of 'proof' you could keep with you in case of questions, since the 4473 is really the deciding document there, and it's not like you can get a copy of it.

I won’t bring up the 80% lower issue. :doh:
That said I have one in pistol and has been handled and admired by Leo on many occasions. If a cop has any questions some intelligent reasoning and explanations can go a long way. I haven’t found a single one that has had an issue unless you are doing something stupid.

Was the guy white?....
giphy.gif

J John Monroe

Calling John Monroe...

I sued the cop in federal court for false arrest and he won a decent money judgment and got his attorney's fees reimbursed.

Interesting feature to the case: I took the cop's deposition and asked him what about the gun made it a rifle. He said because it had a rifled barrel. The cop was in uniform, so I asked him what his duty pistol was. Glock 22. I asked him if that gun had a rifled barrel. He said no.

J John Monroe

Calling John Monroe...

So he had the smooth bore edition?
I sued the cop in federal court for false arrest and he won a decent money judgment and got his attorney's fees reimbursed.

Interesting feature to the case: I took the cop's deposition and asked him what about the gun made it a rifle. He said because it had a rifled barrel. The cop was in uniform, so I asked him what his duty pistol was. Glock 22. I asked him if that gun had a rifled barrel. He said no.

So his Glock is the smooth bore edition? :noidea:

Back
Top Bottom