• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR-15 lower question

I would take a picture with today's newspaper the day you build it as a pistol so you can prove it was a pistol first.
I'm not sure that proves anything. Anyone could take a rifle, turn it into a pistol, take a picture of it with the newspaper, and say it was just built. That is, the newspaper doesn't really add anything.

All lowers are listed as "other' on the 4473. Unless it has been completed as a rifle then it is not a rifle or a pistol. Just a receiver. Take the buttstock off, put on a brace and finish your pistol.
That’s what I was thinking originally! but why has everyone else chimed in stating it’s a rifle lower?old Rumor? Hearsay? Is it up to the my local gun shop to decide which box to check(other or rifle) or is it decided from the factory?

Rifle lower stays as rifle lower, pistol lower the same. In GT distributors Rossville they have several sbr's and they haven't been able to sell them because ATF BS and they can't turn them in pistols since they are sbr's

Oh ok. Well when you fill up you 4473 I think they specify what is the designation for the lower as far as I remember. That comes in that way everytime I get a new lower that's what I remember they do in my gun shop

with a buttstock it comes as a rifle. And I guess that's what they put in the 4473. So I don't change the upper I use a regular 16" barrel or a 14.5" pin and welded
If a receiver comes in new from the manufacturer or distributor with a buttstock on it, it is still just a receiver/other. It is not a rifle or a pistol and it is not listed as such on a 4473. It is not a rifle or a pistol till an upper is installed regardless of what furniture came on it from the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom