• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
It wears a vintage ("period correct" :) ) Weaver K4-1. No click (micro trac?) scope with the duplex reticle.
Progressive lenses in the classes make iron sights on a long gun more of an adventure than I think I'd want at this point. :grey:
If memory serves that's a low magnification scope, I have a couple around here somewhere. As long as the fine line of the duplex reticule is not too thick, you'll be fine. Sight it in at POA = POI for about 83 feet since you'll be shooting at 25 meters (if they set up normally). Some ranges (indoors) only offer 25 yards but I doubt the 6-7 additional feet would matter too much. I have shot with you at Talladega but we didn't talk much about optics. I assume you know your click adjustment increments for elevation and windage but just in case....

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...581717719464/Weaver+K+Series+Instructions.pdf

Is it correct you can shoot with optics, but cannot earn your Rifleman with optics? My son's rifles are fine, but mine has a scope and bull barrel.

My goodness .... I'm 46 now and wondering if I can even make out the front sight!

Is it correct you can shoot with optics, but cannot earn your Rifleman with optics? My son's rifles are fine, but mine has a scope and bull barrel.

My goodness .... I'm 46 now and wondering if I can even make out the front sight!
I don't think there is a distinction between shooting a Rifleman's score with irons or optics, you are either a Rifleman or Cook.

If memory serves that's a low magnification scope, I have a couple around here somewhere. As long as the fine line of the duplex reticule is not too thick, you'll be fine. Sight it in at POA = POI for about 83 feet since you'll be shooting at 25 meters (if they set up normally). Some ranges (indoors) only offer 25 yards but I doubt the 6-7 additional feet would matter too much. I have shot with you at Talladega but we didn't talk much about optics. I assume you know your click adjustment increments for elevation and windage but just in case....

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...581717719464/Weaver+K+Series+Instructions.pdf
Sould be a 4x based on model number but honestly doesn't appear to be even that strong. Yeah the interior crosshair is quite fine. Scope still has the old gold foil stickers in the covers (actually look new) stating 1/4" @ 100 yards. :)
It's shockingly clear and bright. Everytime I tell myself I need to 'upgrade' it, I just can't bring myself to do it. (Gun and scope were both given to me by my father.)

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in general but here goes. I want to get into Appleseed and get my kid into it eventually. There are a few meets coming up close enough by in the fall.

I don't really have the proper rifle for it. I have an old Marlin 60 that has served me well since I was a teenager but it was retired a few years ago. My 22 rifle of choice now days is a Henry. I understand that changeable magazine rifles are preferred. I don't mind buying a new rifle for it ( or any other excuse to buy a new gun ) but I find I'm just not into semi auto 22s much any more. Would a magazine fed bolt action be ok? I could take my AK I guess but that seems kind of expensive and I would prefer to go with a 22 I think.
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-ruger-10-22-lipseys.2290118/

outstanding bargain for a Deluxe with Techsights already installed. This is what I have used once or twice at Appleseed before I started making it harder on purpose.

Thank goodness, no. Even as a red hat, at 54, I struggle to re-qualify with irons on a 10/22. Old eyes. Optics or irons. Shoot the score, score a patch, but more importantly you can join the instructor ranks (upon request after two Appleseed’s and a rifleman score) and help keep liberty alive for our kids’ generation!

25730DEE-C622-4BF4-8128-E680AADFECF7.jpeg

Thank goodness, no. Even as a red hat, at 54, I would struggle to re-qualify with irons on a 10/22. Optics or irons. Shoot the score, score a patch, but more importantly you can join the instructor ranks (upon request after two Appleseed’s and a rifleman score) and help keep liberty alive for our kids’ generation!

View attachment 2827076

Thanks for the clarification 6Bones! I would certainly love to see what I could contribute!

Back
Top Bottom