• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
Looking through old posts and seeing this. Thanks for all the good information. I know the 15-22 is a no go, but would a CMMG bolt conversion AR in .22LR be acceptable? I don’t have a 10/22 but I’m interested in doing an Appleseed after getting back into shooting after 20 years away.

I know of no prohibition on CMMG bolt conversions in AR's. In fact, I frequently loan my Ciener conversion and my AR to people - no issues so far.

Contrary to other's experiences, I have found my AR (1:9 twist) with the conversion kit and CCI ammo to be acceptably accurate. I've shot 2 1/2 to 3 MOA with it, which is pretty good while "slung up"; especially with a red dot.

At almost every event the Shoot Boss or other instructors will have loaner rifles just in case you find your conversion is not accurate enough for you. Or you could just shoot it full bore - centerfires are completely OK at Appleseed events unless the range prohibits it.

Thank you! I just signed up for a membership for the RWVA, and will certainly figure out which event to bring the boys to. The 9yo gets his rifle on his birthday 2 October, then I need to fit it to him, then we should be GTG. Looking forward to it!!
Y'all will enjoy it. When folks ask, I tell them the best experience will be had by bringing:
1.) A teachable attitude
2.) A 10/22 with decent trigger, bolt release mod, 2 mags, Tech Sights, sling loops and web sling.
3.) Some type of shooting mat (even a moving blanket is better than nothing)
4.) Water in summer, layered clothing in winter.

I am determined to do one of these and am about to have the time. I'm confused about one thing. I see optics mentioned but thought it was geared around iron sights. I only have one 10/22 (sad but true) and it has a scope on it. Is the course better suited for guns with or without optics? :confused:

Wow - I had totally forgotten about Appleseed. We just bought my youngest son a 10/22 for his birthday. I need to check this out!! Thanks for the post and reminder!

My nephew just built his first 10/22 and I'm looking forward to his first. My son is only 3 months old but can't wait to get a rifle in his hands when he can do it safely :)

I've gone to Appleseed twice --got my rifleman patch on my second try with a modified Ruger 1022 with a heavy barrel and peep sights.

As others have said, you can learn a lot and do very well on some stages of the shooting with a bolt action gun, but during the rapidfire stage you will struggle to work the bolt and re-acquire your sight picture and trigger in time to get off all your shots before the cease-fire whistle blows. You will probably try to rush it, and if you make the time limit you will have pulled some shots well out of the black when you otherwise could've kept them in the black with a semi.

There are other semi automatic 22 rifles worth considering. I saw one from Rossi-- I believe that was made in Brazil. I think Mossberg makes one too. They cost around $120 and they use 10 shot detachable clip magazines.
There aren't a ton of accessories available for these guns, but they should be good enough for Appleseed right out of the box.
Appleseed allows scopes and optics, and personally I would scope the rifle with a low power scope like fixed 4X.
Make sure The gun has a G.I. type quick adjustable sling, and that the screws or bolts attaching the sling to the stock have enough strength to deal with the shooter who tightly attaches the sling and then leans into it when shooting from the prone position.

I am determined to do one of these and am about to have the time. I'm confused about one thing. I see optics mentioned but thought it was geared around iron sights. I only have one 10/22 (sad but true) and it has a scope on it. Is the course better suited for guns with or without optics? :confused:
You may struggle with high magnification optics or 3-4 MOA dots. The dots obscure the targets. Hi mag scopes "jump around" too much. The course is designed around a military sight picture.
14325_322_1.jpg

Tech sights TSR200 is ideal for 10/22s. About $70. Easy to install. I've done about 20 rifles with them.

You may struggle with high magnification optics or 3-4 MOA dots. The dots obscure the targets. Hi mag scopes "jump around" too much. The course is designed around a military sight picture.
View attachment 2825592

Tech sights TSR200 is ideal for 10/22s. About $70. Easy to install. I've done about 20 rifles with them.
It wears a vintage ("period correct" :) ) Weaver K4-1. No click (micro trac?) scope with the duplex reticle.
Progressive lenses in the classes make iron sights on a long gun more of an adventure than I think I'd want at this point. :grey:

Back
Top Bottom